Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

CV shaft or diff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default CV shaft or diff?

hey everyone. so i just bought a 93 grand cherokee with the 5.2 awd.. so i was playing around n the mud yesterday and all of a sudden i could tell i wasnt getting awd jus my 2 rear wheels were spinning. so 2 days after i bought this thing i already broke it so i got under it and noticed one of my cv boots is torn and i can move the shaft up and down like its not connected. so after this big long paragraph my question is do u guys think its just the cv shaft or could it be worse? it makes a clunking/rattling noise coming from the front left wheel where the boot is torn??? any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 PM

anyone?? i dont have the money this second to fix it and am wondering if it will hurt anything else if i drive like that for a few days like the TC or anything. i am new to jeeps and how they are.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
RED

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8

Put that side on a jack and see what happens when you try to wiggle the tire around.....if it moves like the lugnuts are loose then you have a bad hub assembly....don't drive IT .....I just changed mine out....after hearing grinding noises on that wheel....
Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7

If you have a large socket set its not that hard to pull the axle shaft.
Definitely don't drive it till you know. Axel shafts are relatively cheap and easy to change
Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 PM

ok so i know forusre its the axle shaft but would that really make my 2 front wheels not get power just because i broke one of the axle shafts? im a broke college student and am scared its going to cost alot of money lol
Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It most likely IS getting power in the front and just spinning the broken shaft, path of least resistance, the only way it wouldnt spin just the broken shaft is if you had a locker, pretty simple common sense
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8

no power to the front wheels could be an issue with your transfer case. that one is the oh so fabulous NP249 that im currently having issues with. problem is the viscous coupler that turns the front drive shaft gets toasted because it acts like a limited slip. but itd be best to replace ur cv shaft first and go from there
Old 03-30-2011, 12:43 AM

Ok. ok i finally got new u joint axle shaft. after taking the old one out it was snap in half both the driver and passenger and the only thing that was holding the axle to the wheel was the cv boot. well i just replace it today and now i got some weird noise every time i slow down, but i cant hear it when im speeding up. like a hard whistling noise and it feel like something axle isn't connected right. Any ideas what this can be?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0l

I always like to check the cheapest thing to replace first. I would take off the front diff cover and inspect the R&P. I know on my 99 gc there came with two different versions or length of axel shafts, depending on if it had open or limited slip diff's. So also verify if your axels are the right length and not causing a bind in the diff. An old Bronco had a simular wine as you explained and it is because of bad and missmatched spider gears. It wined when driving but not when speeding up. And it would not hurt to double check all the connection. Make sure all bolts on tight, breaks on correcectly, nothing is rubbing on anything else. Sounds like the extra weight on the front end when slowing down is causing the wine. Does it still wine when breaking or just coasting?