Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Changing fluids advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Changing fluids advice!

I've already done my oil and radiator as soon as I got the Cherokee but I'm thinking I should just go ahead and do all other fluids except for the power steering/brakes.

I don't have a repair manual so does anyone have any heads up on what I should be doing? Where I can find drain plugs and fill holes? Transmission, front diff, rear?? Types of fluids/gear oils etc. would be helpful.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Anyone? I found the transfer case drain/fill plugs but the front diff. only has a fill plug and the rear diff. has a rubber plug only which I'm not too thrilled about removing.

I can't find a drain for the transmission?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transmition do not have drain plug( al least most of them). You will have to take the pan off. I would recommend changing the filter while you there.
Transfer case have drain and overflow plugs. Transfer case take ATF fluid.
The front end usually have plug, but the rear have rubber plug. I took of mine 4 times and have no leak. If it is old rubber, then my crack. You can get it from dealer. Front and rear normaly take 70-90 gear oil.
The fron and rear plug are overflow plugs. You fill up untill oil start flowing from the hole.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Eva

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO Straight 6 cyl

I'm not sure what year and specs you have in your Cherokee, but here are the ones from my 94 Owner's Manual.

Auto Trans - ATF Plus - Auto Trans Fluid (Dextron II) (Are you changing the filter too?) 10.2 qts for 6cyl, 10.7 for V8

Manual Trans - drain plug should be at rear of trans, and fill hole about half way to top, but nearly straight verical from the drain plug. 75W90 -API-GL5 grade (until it is level with bottom of the fill hole)

Transfer Case - ATF Mercon II or Dextron - drain plug is at bottom, fill plug at center Quadra Trac- 2.5 PINTS (I think you said you had quadratrac)

Front/ Rear Axle - 75W90 F/A - 3.125 PINTS ; R/A - 2.5 PINTS (Says Class III and IV tow packages take synthetic 75W140 gear lube in R/A , and Trac-Lok requires an additive) (It gives no info for draining axles, and it should be the same metal fill plug for stock. However, we all know things can changed on Jeeps. )

I hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks everyone, I think I have it all figured out.

Dropping the trans pan is going to make quite a mess huh??
Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Eva

Yes, pretty much. Your local auto parts store (like Advance Auto) may rent the transmission oil change pans, which are long rectangles, similar to a paint tray. However, a 5 gallon bucket can work in a pinch.

If you back out the trans pan bolts slowly at one end, and let the bulk of the ATF drain before you loosen or remove all the bolts, it will be less messy. But lots of absorbent sheets or media is adviseable.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 PM

I have a pretty large oil drain pan that should work but I'll do it in the driveway and not the garage so it's easier to clean! LOL I have an ATV that makes a huge mess because the oil gets all over the skid plate.

Doesn't look like the front and rear diff's are designed to have the oil changed? Just added to? I guess I could find something to suck it out with.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

alls you due to change the diff fluid is unblots the cover drain it put it back on and fill it up till it spills out of the hole
Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

brake fluid is important also. It is extremaly hydroscopic (not spelt right, means it absorbes moistuer. Even with the cap off in high humidity will suck moistuer in.) Suck out of master, replace with dot 3 or 4, or 5.1 and crack the bleaders on caliper (or wheel cyl). don't leave the master go dry.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Eva

Brake fluid *is* important. I would stay with DOT 3 or 4, and away from synthetic, unless you are replacing your entire brake system, including master cylinder and all lines. It's easiest to do the brake fluid when you do brake jobs, but you may want to do now if the brakes look good.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Eva
I'm not sure what year and specs you have in your Cherokee, but here are the ones from my 94 Owner's Manual.

Auto Trans - ATF Plus - Auto Trans Fluid (Dextron II) (Are you changing the filter too?) 10.2 qts for 6cyl, 10.7 for V8

Manual Trans - drain plug should be at rear of trans, and fill hole about half way to top, but nearly straight verical from the drain plug. 75W90 -API-GL5 grade (until it is level with bottom of the fill hole)

Transfer Case - ATF Mercon II or Dextron - drain plug is at bottom, fill plug at center Quadra Trac- 2.5 PINTS (I think you said you had quadratrac)

Front/ Rear Axle - 75W90 F/A - 3.125 PINTS ; R/A - 2.5 PINTS (Says Class III and IV tow packages take synthetic 75W140 gear lube in R/A , and Trac-Lok requires an additive) (It gives no info for draining axles, and it should be the same metal fill plug for stock. However, we all know things can changed on Jeeps. )

I hope that helps.

Lets be careful here....
If he is referring to a Cherokee.. rather than a Grand Cherokee... most of what you put here is wrong.

The Grand Cherokees(other than 1993) used Chrysler transmission. The Cherokee used an AW-4 which never was a Chrysler transmission and has completely different requirements for it.

First the AW-4 uses Dexron/Mercon II or III. Not ATF+... The Chrysler trannies use ATF+

Second the AW-4 only takes 4.3 quarts for a service fill, and 8.5 quarts for a complete drain. The service fill on the Chrysler transmissions is just over 4 quarts with a complete drain being about 11 and a half quarts.

Transfer case... the NP 231 and NP242 transfer cases would be same regardless of which Jeep they are in, but the NP 249(Grand Cherokee) requires more fluid(3.4 pints)

Axles... both the Cherokee and Grands used Dana 30's through out their lives..so that didn't change.. unless he has a vacuum disconnect axle... then the capacity is slightly different as the disconnect housing requires about 5 oz. or so of lubricant. Now as long as he has a Dana 35 rear.. the capacity is correct, but the larger Dana44A has a higher capacity.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Eva

Good point. I should have specified Grand Cherokee Laredo, and I think Limited, from my Owner's manual. However, with all due respect, this is under the Grand Cherokee Tech section, so I was expecting he had a Grand Cherokee, and I did specify the year of my owner's manual.

Last edited by Eva; 05-04-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: clarification