Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

~*~To Change or Not to change TransFluid? ~*~

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default ~*~To Change or Not to change TransFluid? ~*~

-

Hey did you hear the one about the little girl that asked her father how the human race started?

The Father responds well honey God created Adam and Eve they fell in love and through their children's children mankind developed...

The next day the little girls comes to her Father all confused and says Dad I asked Mom the same question and she said that we evolved from monkeys, apes, primates that they eventually erected themselves and that's how evolution started?

The Father responds, honey I explained where my side of the family came from and your Mom explained where her side came from!

Hahahhahha Nothing wrong with a little humor to start the day. Hope it made you smile. So here's the skinny;

Name:  girllaughing.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  95.0 KB

Gentlemen new vehicle for me a little over 90 days in, 02 Jeep WJ 47 Overlander 105K.

Purchased from a shyster garage mechanic, don't know if ever there's been a trans service, where he bought it from etc. I do know or should I say he told me he rebuild that left side of the engine. But I don't know what to believe with that guy.

I heard a long time ago that if your trans fluid hasn't been serviced in regular intervals 15-20K from the start your probably better of not changing it. I know a little about how dirt in the gears may hold the trans together and if its never been changed perhaps best to leave it be?

What's your opinion on this Trans Service, should I service it filter fluid change or leave it alone?? Same applies to transfer case??

May I please ask what your opinion is on this? Thank you.

-
-

Btw Please feel free to respond with a quick joke of your own, I could use a good laugh too.

Sleep well. Goodnight.

PeterB.

-

Last edited by PeterB; 05-16-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 AM

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by PeterB
-

Hey did you hear the one about the little girl that asked her father how the human race started?

The Father responds well honey God created Adam and Eve they fell in love and through their children's children mankind developed...

The next day the little girls comes to her Father all confused and says Dad I asked Mom the same question and she said that we evolved from monkeys, apes, primates that they eventually erected themselves and that's how evolution started?

The Father responds, honey I explained to where my side of the family came from and your Mom explained where her side came from!

Hahahhahha

Btw Please feel free to respond with a quick joke of your own, I could use a good laugh too.

PeterB.

-

:brick wall:: brickwall:

Try these links Peter:

www.facebook.com
www.twitter.com
Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 AM

-

-

Gentlemen new vehicle for me a little over 90 days in, 02 Jeep WJ 47 Overlander 105K.

Purchased from a shyster garage mechanic, don't know if ever there's been a trans service, where he bought it from etc. I do know or should I say he told me he rebuild that left side of the engine. But I don't know what to believe with that guy.

I heard a long time ago that if your trans fluid hasn't been serviced in regular intervals 15-20K from the start your probably better of not changing it. I know a little about how dirt in the gears may hold the trans together and if its never been changed perhaps best to leave it be?

What's your opinion on this Trans Service, should I service it filter fluid change or leave it alone?? Same applies to transfer case??

May I please ask what your opinion is on this? Thank you.

-
-

PeterB.

-

Seriously FBone. Trans Fluid is filthy. Is it worth doing a Trans Service or am I going to give myself headaches? Leave it dirty or change it out?

Checking to see what tech wise CF members feel about this subject?

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Again!

Thank you.

-
Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

Change it!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 AM

-

Good mornig KF, so you vote change it. OK. I appreciate that. Thank you.

FYI You've heard about why JiffyLube (quick 15 min oil change places) no longer offers trans service right?

Supposedly so many drivers that never changed their TF after doing it had Trans problems? As a result of litigation they no longer offer it.

I can't afford more troubles, if it ain't broke don't fix it? Yet the preventative factors in my mind?? Fluids do break down, TF included??

I don't know, I'm asking ? Curious tother Tech savy Transmission peeps comments, suggestions please. Dave, John, Black what do you guys think?

Thank you gentlemen. Enjoy your day.

PS. True or False guys? I've also heard that if you don't use the LOW 4x4 often (myself neve,r regular constant is plenty sufficient for my needs) No reason to concern yourself with the transfer case fluids??

-

Last edited by PeterB; 05-16-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Peter, my opinion on the transfer case fluid is change it. They use transmission fluid because it's a low viscosity, high pressure lubricant, meaning it will support a heavy bearing load and not get thick in the cold. In a transfer case, it is not used hydraulically but only to lubricate. It will, however, break down under high heat conditions.

It's easy to change. Every one of the New Process/New Venture units I've seen had 2 10mm Allen plugs, one to drain and one to fill. You just fill it up until it runs out the fill plug. I believe yours uses ATF+4.

The infamous "viscous clutch" used in the Quadratrac is sealed with it's own fluid inside. Any slippage between the axles causes heat and that's what kills them.

On the transmission, my advise is to drop the pan, change the filter, and check the drained fluid and pan for "shiny bits". These can be clutch material and steel flakes from the driven plates, a clue as to the general health of your trans. Any aluminum flakes are from the clutch plate driving tangs biting into the clutch drums. You can check for steel flakes with a magnet. IDK if Mopar does, but GM puts a magnet in the pan to catch these.

They say the reason not to flush high mileage transmissions is because these contaminants get imbedded in the clutch material and get washed out causing clutch slippage. Valvoline used at 50K limit on wither to flush or not. The choice is yours, but I wouldn't.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by dave1123
Peter, my opinion on the transfer case fluid is change it. They use transmission fluid because it's a low viscosity, high pressure lubricant, meaning it will support a heavy bearing load and not get thick in the cold. In a transfer case, it is not used hydraulically but only to lubricate. It will, however, break down under high heat conditions.

It's easy to change. Every one of the New Process/New Venture units I've seen had 2 10mm Allen plugs, one to drain and one to fill. You just fill it up until it runs out the fill plug. I believe yours uses ATF+4.

The infamous "viscous clutch" used in the Quadratrac is sealed with it's own fluid inside. Any slippage between the axles causes heat and that's what kills them.

On the transmission, my advise is to drop the pan, change the filter, and check the drained fluid and pan for "shiny bits". These can be clutch material and steel flakes from the driven plates, a clue as to the general health of your trans. Any aluminum flakes are from the clutch plate driving tangs biting into the clutch drums. You can check for steel flakes with a magnet. IDK if Mopar does, but GM puts a magnet in the pan to catch these.

They say the reason not to flush high mileage transmissions is because these contaminants get imbedded in the clutch material and get washed out causing clutch slippage. Valvoline used at 50K limit on wither to flush or not. The choice is yours, but I wouldn't.
Yeah!
Change it.
Don't flush it!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Service the transmission, but don't have a kwiky lube place flush it. I work on a fleet of vehicles for a state agency in the People's Republic of California. We change the fluid and filter and the do a fluid transfusion every 24k. The machine we use is not really a flush machine, it uses the transmission's own pump for the transfusion process. It replaces all of the fluid in the tranny without forcing fluid backwards and possibly pushing junk where it doesn't belong. We use BG cleaner and fluid, they also make the machine. The fleet does not go through very many transmissions surprisingly enough.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:36 PM

If it aint broke, dont fix it. No need to reinvent the wheel. If it leaks add it, if you do a flush and put new fluid in it thinking your doing the right thing......WRONG. If it hasnt been done religiously leave it alone. better off just rebuilding the tranny cause your gonna anyways after you flush it.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

That is why I said do not flush it. The transfusion changes all of the fluid, not just the stuff in the pan, and it's not forcing junk throughout the transmission.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 PM

-

Thank you gentlemen for your kind post replies. I'm grateful for your caring input...

Guys, guys lol., I never said anything about flushing anything. Although some peeps like that the flushing biz, I don't go there.

I'm talking just servicing it, you know taking the bolts off letting the fluid leak out, changing both filters, replacing the gasket & refilling it with synthetic...

Even though the fluid is filthy dirty brown. I'm apprehensive cause I know it may release build up that's holding things together. But I'm going to roll the dice and do a Trans Service on it, I hope I don't shoot myself in the foot again!

The main reason I'm doing it is cause I tow a 5000lb Ranger VS617 Walleye rig and I'm concerned about overheating dirty fluid that much faster on say an 8-10hr smallie fishing trip to one of my frequent spring destination like a Dale Hollow etc..

I'm even installing an aftermarket Trans oil cooler too ...

Thanks again gentlemen. Enjoy your weekend. Arivederci

-

Last edited by PeterB; 05-16-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

- Thank you gentlemen for your kind post replies. I'm grateful for your caring input... Guys guys lol., I never said anything about flushing anything. Although some peeps like that the flushing but, I don't either. I'm talking just servicing it, you know taking the bolts off letting the fluid leak out, changing both filters, replacing the gasket & refilling it with synthetic... Even though the fluid is filthy dirty brown. I'm apprehensive cause I know it may release build up that's holding things together. But I'm going to roll the dice and do a Trans Service on it, I hope I don't shoot myself in the foot again! The only reason I'm doing it is cause I tow a 5000lb Ranger VS617 Walleye rig and I'm concerned about overheating dirty fluid that much faster on an 8-10hr smallie fishing trip to say Dale Hallow... I'm even installing an aftermarket Trans fluid oil cooler too ... Thanks again gentlemen. Enjoy your weekend. Arivederci -
Do yourself a favor and get a reusable trans pan gasket from the dealer, well worth the 25 bucks in my opinion. The cheap gaskets that come with the filter kits are junk and will leak if you don't have everything perfectly clean, straight, and torqued.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Hey Busted! I worked for Valvoline Instant Oil Change for a long time and we used a T-Tech machine similar to the one you describe to do flushes. It has a clear cylinder into which we loaded the new fluid to push a piston down, pushing out the last guys old fluid. Then we hook up the customer's cooler line to the bottom of the cylinder and let the transmission push the new fluid in by the return line. There are even pressure guages on this unit to show what the transfer pressure is. It's usually about 40 psi. This cylinder holds 15 quarts of fluid so it removes ALL the old fluid and doesn't overfill, HOWEVER, if the fluid level was low when you start, it will still be low when your done, because it uses the direct transfer principle.

But, again, if the transmission has more than 50k miles on it without service, Valvoline won't touch it.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Sounds like the same machine, or at least very similar.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 PM

-

Yeah thanks BD had I read your PM earlier I may have opted to do that.

I also did not like the gasket that was offered with the filter so I opted to use black gasket silicone instead. I don't anticipate any problems it held pretty good in my previous WJ with one exception. Anyhow I went ahead and did it today as well as repair the passenger rear window button. Some guy claimed it was an ongoing issue with 02s but it turned out to be a gummy sticky clicker. I'll go ahead and make a new thread for that before FishBone gives me another smiley

Btw I also have some difficulties on getting my hands on the right filters. The flat one they game me had a grove on it and the pan wouldn't seal right. I needed the flat filter, turns out they had givem me a 2WD filter vs the 4WD? Turns out every auto parts in the area had the same goofy one with the grove on it.

Finally I stopped at a Trans place that had exactly what I needed $12 for an easy piecy install

-

Last edited by PeterB; 05-16-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: ~*~To Change or Not to change TransFluid? ~*~