Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

CD Player swap!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default CD Player swap!

I have a 93 gradn cherokee without the infinity system. I installed a cdplayer a few years back worked great until recently. It still works but it over heats. Went out and bought a new cdplayer. Wired it up and i cant get any sound. Powers up fine but zero sound. Hooked the old cd player back up and works fine. thinking it was the cd player, I returned it and they gave me another brand new one. Same out come. Powers up but no sound. Any ideas ?????
Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ar3em11
I have a 93 gradn cherokee without the infinity system. I installed a cdplayer a few years back worked great until recently. It still works but it over heats. Went out and bought a new cdplayer. Wired it up and i cant get any sound. Powers up fine but zero sound. Hooked the old cd player back up and works fine. thinking it was the cd player, I returned it and they gave me another brand new one. Same out come. Powers up but no sound. Any ideas ?????
i had the same problum with mine i hard wired it in wich was a bad idea they come with a stock amp and the security system is wired into the streo i hooked back up the plug i cut off the wiring harness and went and bought a addaption plug to hook to that wich plugs straight in to the cd player diff brands take diff plugs even if they look simulier so take it to a decent car audio store with ur head unit and tell them ur installing it in a 93 grand and they will give u the proper aptaption plug it coast me like 16 bucks
Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2

does yours have the factory amp under the back seat? if so, did you connect the remote wire? (blue wire white stripe, same on factory harness and aftermarket stereo harness.)
Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 PM

just re read your post, hahaha. didnt realize you said without infinity system. Its easier to diagnose these things when you can see them. did you cut and splice the wiring or did you get a connector?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

More info needed?

What kind of HU? How is it wired into the ZJ? How was the old one wired in? Are you using the same wiring harness as before, or did you get a new one? Is the HU powering the speakers, or have you put a amp in?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Model: Cherokee

the cd player is JVC, that is completely irrelevant considering the cd player that over heats is also a JVC. problem is the one that over heats works fine and the new ones dont...They share the same harness coming out of the back of the cd player. The original harness for the jeep is still in there. i bought the after market wiring harness when i originally installed the first cd player. its mind boggling how the one works fine until it over heats but no other cd player will work.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM

are you sure that the new harness is exactly the same as the old one? I'd pull the radio and make sure the same wires go to the same pins if you have the harness for your new unit.