Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

CCV Elbows/PCV Valve 02 Grand Cherokee

Old 10-19-2013, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default CCV Elbows/PCV Valve 02 Grand Cherokee

It's been a while since I posted here. But I figure this info may be useful to somebody one day. So today I intended to do a throttle body/IAC Valve cleaning on my 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0, well I got that done and a little more. For some reason I got curious about my CCV Elbows, I tried to pull out the back one and it snapped, due to being old and dry rotted. So I thought maybe I can get out the front one, and figure out how to get out the broken back one in the process, well I snapped the front one too . So then I went reading around on some sights and got the impression I was supposed to turn the elbow 90 degrees to line up some slots, in order to get it out, WRONG! The valves pull straight out, there are NO SLOTS, the grommets were stone hard and that's why the elbows were EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to remove. I ended up taking the whole valve cover off, fighting and fighting, had to pry out the grommets and elbows with screw driver and hammer. Replaced grommets and elbows with new ones from the dealership, supposedly they showed 2 different part numbers for the elbows, but I just used 2 of the same one, because they were not both in stock, and it seems to work fine. BTW, I had to completely remove the throttle body in order to get the IAC Valve out, due to the screw on the bottom of the valve. Well what a PITA this turned out to be, but it's all done now. Also the whole reason I undertook this project is due to an inconsistent, some times rough sounding start I've been chasing for a year and half. So far it sounds good, but I need more time to confirm. I hope this helps some one some day.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thanks for the post
Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Do you know what's odd? When I worked at Valvoline, the PCV valves we stocked came with an elbow on them. If we didn't need them, we pulled them off with pliers. I've thrown so many away, I'm sick to think about it.