Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ccv

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ccv

Can I eliminate both ccv points on the value cover? What will it do if I do? And how do I go about doing it?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Leave them alone, one is the CCV (rear one), and the other is a vent. You gain nothing by eliminating either one, but you do run the risk of causing crank seals to blow out and crankcase explosions without them.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

You can do this if you want to, but you need to cap one of them and put some type of filter on the other. I dont know what your trying to fix or accomplish but if its slobbering oil into your air filter housing, just take that hose off, extend down to the frame and to the ground, or catch can. Chances are you have excessive blow-by and oil is getting migrated through the crankcase fumes. You could get real technical and plumb them into your exhaust but you almost need a venturi type valve setup.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Yes, it is spitting oil into my air filter. So should I cap one or but breathers on both?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by sheldon2488
Yes, it is spitting oil into my air filter. So should I cap one or but breathers on both?
Technically, the one going to the filter box, is suppose to breath "filtered" air into the engine for PCV circulation or exhale crankcase vapor into engine under load. But when the engine becomes old then blow-by gasses which carry oil vapors become excessive and this hose becomes an oil slobber tube for your filter. You can leave the rear valve cover vacuum tube attached but modify the front one which goes into the filter box.

What I have seen most people do is lengthen the hose and run it to bottom of engine/frame area near the ground (draft tube), or run it into some type of can or bottle. If using a catch can/bottle you will have to dump the oil out every now and then. If you run the tube near the ground,in time it will probably grime up whatever is behind it from the oil drips.

Basically this hose just needs to be able to breath in/out, but you want to route it somewhere where the oil doesnt make a mess