Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CCV valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Default CCV valve

Yea I read up on the CCV and PCV valve debate around here totally confused but I guess its called CCV. Well the front hose on the valve cover the plastic round "washer" is cracked. I went to Addvanced auto and the kid said it might be why I have a rough idle.

I know I have to go to the dealer to get the part but is this a pain in the *** to replace myself? iv done pluges and all of that Im capable with tools and the know how just never done this before.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM

there not to bad to change problem is that they become very brittle overtime and tend to break coming out allowing plastic to fall into valve cover best bet is to change the valve cover gasket at the same time chances r it leaks anyway
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM

Year: 99

it does slightly im sure. the Valve cover gasket intimidates me a bit lol
Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Best to remove valve cover, thoroughly clean it, replace the grommets on both of the ccv orifices while it is out, reinstall valve cover with a new gasket, install new CCV tubing and you will be good to go.

This is not a difficult job.

New CCV hardware is quite inexpensive and you can get it at a parts store like NAPA or the dealer for under $50. Money well spent.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I broke the flange off of the top of the CCV and then pushed the CCV into the valve cover, then I cut the grommet and pulled it out of the hole, then I was able to get the CCV out without removing the valve cover. There is a baffle under the CCV so it won't fall into the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Jennifer Ferguson (03-06-2021)
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

teamcherokee has them for cheap. there are two diff designs. one pops right out the other twist to unlock and then pop out depending on the year.

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Engine/index.html

Last edited by xjheep92; 06-16-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I just recently did my valve cover. And in the process I broke one of these (the rear one to be specific). I went to the dealer and bought a new 90* piece rubber grommet and hose that connects to the intake and it cost me $35 or so. The parts guy said that those rubber grommets sometime seize up and the 90* elbow then become next to impossible to get out without breaking something.

Really easy to replace. You can cut the rubber in order to get it out or do as one guy above mentioned, break it push it down, remove the grommet, then pull out the elbow (there is a baffle under the elbow so there is no worry about it going down into your valve springs and such).

Also just go ahead and do the head gasket as well. It's a couple of bolts and rubber grommets. I believe the torque specs are 7 lbs or something like that.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Lindsey
Old 03-30-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6
Default Confused as well!

Palnning on doing my valve cover here in the next couple of days and am a bit confused. I am working on a 96 xj 4.0 sport.

On the valve cover I have 2 "valves" coming out. Any parts store that I am researching just shows these as PCV valves. Are they both PCV valves or is one a PCV and the other a CCV? Want to order the correct parts before I tackle this.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Its a good chance to replace your valve cover gasket as well. Its an easy procedure, tons of youtube videos out there if youre unsure.

Doorman makes replacement grommets and elbows, I did mine and it easy, took less than an hour with replacing the valve cover gasket.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I think you want to go to Napa, they carry the right stuff. The one that goes to the intake manifold is the one with the "valve" (just a 2.6mm orifice, a metered vacuum "leak"). The other one needs to be a clear, about 1/2 tube to the airbox. The idea is closed circuit circulation, for smog. What really ends up happening is that blowby past the rings overwhelms that vacuum and it blows into the airbox on accl. In ether case there is circulation. If that tube were kinked or restricted crankcase pressure might make it leak oil all over. (RM especially)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 liter 242 CI

I ordered these parts from Advanced Auto Parts earlier this month. I plan on replacing the valve cover gasket and the grommets on my '01 Sport. The PCV elbow from Dorman Help - part number 47057 was $5.50. The crankcase ventilation filter from BWD - part number EC242 was $5.79. The Dorman PCV elbow was in stock but the BWD CCV was only available as "ship to home". As an alternative, I think you can get them from the dealer for about $8.00 each.
The following users liked this post:
Antonio Romero Jr. (03-18-2020)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by MXDNJSport
I ordered these parts from Advanced Auto Parts earlier this month. I plan on replacing the valve cover gasket and the grommets on my '01 Sport. The PCV elbow from Dorman Help - part number 47057 was $5.50. The crankcase ventilation filter from BWD - part number EC242 was $5.79. The Dorman PCV elbow was in stock but the BWD CCV was only available as "ship to home". As an alternative, I think you can get them from the dealer for about $8.00 each.

thanks! I will be ordering these soon. Did you just replace to elbows or did you also replace the tubing while you were at it as well? And if so, is this just standard tuning or does it have to be a certain diameter/material?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 liter 242 CI

Originally Posted by xj guy
thanks! I will be ordering these soon. Did you just replace to elbows or did you also replace the tubing while you were at it as well? And if so, is this just standard tuning or does it have to be a certain diameter/material?
I plan on replacing the valve cover grommets and valve cover gasket. I bought the elbows just in case the current ones break when taking them out of the valve cover. The PCV and CCV get brittle over time and break easily. I do not plan on replacing the hose connectors between the elbows and the plastic tubing.
The diameter of the inlet on the PCV valve is larger than the plastic tube that goes to the intake manifold. The rubber hose that connects them is shaped to fit the two different sizes. The hose that connects the CCV and the plastic tube to the air intake is a straight shot. While I remember reading it somewhere in this forum, I do not remember the size needed. For your convenience, Dorman packages both connectors.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:28 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

You can buy the elbows at O'reilly auto parts in the self-help section. The small orifice one goes in the back, the one with about the 3/8th hole goes in front. if their are out of the one with the big hole, buy one with the small and drill it bigger.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 PM

I was able to pry mine up by sliding a pair of needle nose players (1 tip on each side) and prying up. A little quicker and easier that way.

Quick Reply: CCV valve