Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Bouncing front end at certain speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bouncing front end at certain speeds?

93 GC
Previously when driving at around 60mph I would hear and FEEL a bounce in the drivers side front end. If I increased the speed a couple of mph it would go away.
Recently had a tie rod changed on driver's side front and this bounce has now started showing up at 50-65mph and is much more 'violent'.

The alignment is off, but was previous to the tie rod replacement.

I can hear this and feel it in the steering wheel. Although, it does not feel like a wobble from side to side, but rather a violent hop that would shake the car apart if it didn't stop. Almost as if the shock was bad, although it seems fine when bouncing the car at stand still.

Have no clue where to begin with this as I've read so much about the death wobble. Not sure if this qualifies as such since it seems to only feel like it is on the driver's side front.

Again, advice and experience is appreciated. Am somewhat capable of doing some repairs myself depending on tools required.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Many many threads here on death wobble.
Saw this post https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fin...x-video-45636/ which seems similar but had a couple questions:

-Do I need to remove the wheel to even check this? (It's freezing outside and I currently can't move summer car out of garage due to snow)
-Does wheel need to be removed to tighten this?

-if track bar needs to be replaced, what parts would I need to order (bushings included?)
-how hard to replace on a scale of 1-10? Any walkthroughs out there as the haynes/chiltons always seem to be missing a step or 2 for repairs, and forget about their pictures.

EDIT:

Searched death wobble on youtube, and sure enough this is EXACTLY what it sounds like.
'Death wobble' Posted by Sieran83

However, back to square one with the solutions since there seems to be a million possibilities. From tire replacements to anything else related to suspension.

I will still check the track bar, etc. But after reading all the threads I think it might be best to take it to an alignment place and let them know that I am getting the wobble.
Will update but any advice in meantime is still appreciated.

Last edited by six30; 01-05-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1984
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 383" Chevy

Check both front tires for balance and out of round condition. You can jack one tire up at a time and spin it with a can or something solid up close to the tread, watch to see if the tread wanders in and out away from the can, if it does you have a out of round tire which they will warranty if the tires have decent tread on them. Out of balance cond. will also cause the bounce at a certian speed. Happy Trailin", Chevokeeman.