Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Forward Low, No Reverse

Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Forward Low, No Reverse

Might as well get the whole story out of the way. I got a call tonight as I was just getting ready to hit the sack when my brother calls - he and his friend got their pickup stuck out in the snow on a low-maintenance road a couple days here after a blizzard went through. I figured this would be a great opportunity to show-off the 5.9L's prowess and save the day.
The snow was so deep I couldn't get my door open, and after trying to plow my way to him, I ended up having 1st gear, but when I put it in reverse I had nothing. I was rocking quite a few times in the snow before this happened. I'm not much of a tranny guy, but I thought that 1st and reverse were on the same bands? So why would I have one without the other? Certainly up for suggestions.
Looking forward to hearing hopeful news, but not holding my breath.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee

Ah, its hard on the trans to rock it back and forth, and if you ever have to, be easy on it and allow the wheels to stop before shifting. Have you checked the fluid? Is it dark or has a burned smell?

Rear band is needed for Rev, it is used in Reverse & manual 1st for engine/compression braking. If your in manual 1st and let off the accel the engine should slow the truck down, without the band the engine would go to idle speed.

Front clutch could be out but you would also lose 3rd and 4th.

Direct clutch could be out, You would notice when in D2 everytime you let off the gas and upshifted to 2nd the vehicle would coast freely, no engine braking.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Default yeah...

yeahhhhh I know... I've lost a couple transmissions in demolition derbies from too much rocking. (so you would think I would know better, huh? ) It was just the low/rev thing that had me stumped.
Either way, you got my question answered. Thanks for the post.