Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Blower Motor Resistor or Connector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Blower Motor Resistor or Connector?

Good morning everyone!

So basically I am trying to figure out which parts I need to buy… but here is the back story so that I can get some solid advice.

A few weeks ago, I changed my thermometer and not long after my AC fan stopped blowing. It will occasionally kick back on maybe a couple times a week, but other than that, it won’t blow. When I kick my speeds up to around 70 or 80 I can feel the wind being pushed through my AC, and the air is cold. I finally got around to taking a look last night at what was going on. When I went under the dash and tapped on the blower motor, nothing happened, but when I tapped on the resistor, the AC kicked back on few a few brief moments. I pulled back the carpet on my passenger side and I could smell burning, and I also saw some parts of the carpet had melted where the resistor wiring is. I’ve come to the conclusion that I definitely need a new resistor, I’m just curious, should I go ahead and get the whole kit and replace the connector too, or is this strictly the resistor?

Thanks for your help!

-Mel
Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened on my 97 ZJ Mel. I had to fix the plug on the blower motor resistor.

I also had to by-pass and hard wire the harness that plugs into the main harness under the glove box. When the resistor overheats that plug end tends to melt, and cause an intermittent blower situation.

Here's a link to the blower motor resistors, and also repair kits for it on our website. Hope this helps you out.

Tony
Grand Cherokee Blower Motor Repair