Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Blower Motor Resistor Connection

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Blower Motor Resistor Connection

We recently replaced the Blower Motor resistor for the 2004 Grand Cherokee
Amazon Amazon
However, we need the wire or at least the connector that plugs in to the blower motor resistor as it has melted over time and is not a tight fit anymore.
Where can I buy this wire and what is the part number?
Thanks!
~P.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:53 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It used to be a dealer only item and probably still is. A couple of years ago, my mechanic got a plug for the trans safety switch from the dealer because the reverse light wire had rotted off inside the plug. He had it the same day. As a matter of fact, when I bought my last blower resistor, they asked me if I needed the connector also.

BTW, change your profile block to show WJ, not XJ.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by dave1123
It used to be a dealer only item and probably still is. A couple of years ago, my mechanic got a plug for the trans safety switch from the dealer because the reverse light wire had rotted off inside the plug. He had it the same day. As a matter of fact, when I bought my last blower resistor, they asked me if I needed the connector also.

BTW, change your profile block to show WJ, not XJ.
HI DAVE!!! Happy New Year! Hey, Did your blower resistor and connectors/wire kit look like this?

Old 01-02-2021, 01:40 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Actually, no. Of course mine is actually a 99 built in July so they were probably still using old parts, plus mine is a manual heater control, not a dual-zone climate control. My resistor has several wire coils that heat up, not the cool looking spikes yours has. You've got to remember all my wires are actually ground taps and the one wire coming from the blower is hot with the key on. It took me a while to get it thru my head that the whole control console just manipulates the ground side of the circuit, for the blower that is. I've never gotten into the wiring for the blend door stepper motor, however. If I'm thinking correctly, both sides of the stepper motor are powered up to hold it in position and one side circuit is broken to move it a step one way or the other in pulses.

That unit you show is for the automatic climate control and is a pulse modulated speed control similar to the early electric engine cooling fan relay. It gets hot because it's constantly cycling to control the blower speed and it looks like it's drawing too much current because of worn blower bearings. Your wiring is hot red, ground black, and tan pulse control.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by dave1123
Actually, no. Of course mine is actually a 99 built in July so they were probably still using old parts, plus mine is a manual heater control, not a dual-zone climate control. My resistor has several wire coils that heat up, not the cool looking spikes yours has. You've got to remember all my wires are actually ground taps and the one wire coming from the blower is hot with the key on. It took me a while to get it thru my head that the whole control console just manipulates the ground side of the circuit, for the blower that is. I've never gotten into the wiring for the blend door stepper motor, however. If I'm thinking correctly, both sides of the stepper motor are powered up to hold it in position and one side circuit is broken to move it a step one way or the other in pulses.

That unit you show is for the automatic climate control and is a pulse modulated speed control similar to the early electric engine cooling fan relay. It gets hot because it's constantly cycling to control the blower speed and it looks like it's drawing too much current because of worn blower bearings. Your wiring is hot red, ground black, and tan pulse control.
i may not state my case as eloquently you do but ... i knew that ...
Old 01-03-2021, 03:39 PM
Old fart with a wrench

I love my WJ for what it is and what it isn't. It's a very reliable and capable vehicle for what I need it to be, and it isn't overly complicated electronically. I can still fix it myself without a lot of scan tools and a degree in electronics. My plans are that this will be my last vehicle and I won't buy anything newer. Older maybe. I'm just an old fart with a wrench anyhow.

Last edited by dave1123; 01-03-2021 at 03:41 PM.