Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Bed Liner

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Bed Liner

Just did bed liner on my ZJ where the cladding used to be. Was wondering if anyone has ever used bed liner on their Jeep and how it holds up on the trails/rocks. Picture so you can see what I'm talking about
Attached Thumbnails Bed Liner-image-3193774988.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.0

I didn't take my cladding off to do bed liner but used the rust oleum spray can on the cladding...seems to be holding up fine just had to touch a few areaa like on the rocker cover of the driver side it peeled a little from getting in and out every day...although i don't offroad with mine since it's a daily driver and im a poor college kid i don't want anything to break lol i did my bumpers too and i think it looks nice...i'll post a picture below
Attached Thumbnails Bed Liner-sam_0020.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I used Rustoleum paints for plastic, in gloss black, a while back i discovered there is like 4 times the amount of paint in paint for plastic, versus the bedliner, and it costs a little less.
I used three coats, a light first coat, and then two heavy coats all with two cans, i also cleaned and preped the cladding really well for best adhesion.

Name:  paint2_zps4f561b6e.jpg
Views: 3765
Size:  190.5 KB

did the bumpers and grill too

Name:  paint1_zps75d2bdd2.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  191.7 KB
Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks guys! I decided to do bed liner on it because I do take her off road and figured it would help protect the body a little more than just the paint. Nice ZJs posted here though!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Model: Cherokee

I just did my zxj in bedliner make sure you prep I took mine to bare metal and acetone wiped it taped and painted it best way is to use a 4.5 angle grinder 80 grit flap disc and a mask and eye protection sparks and paint will fly and that **** is toxic to breath in I used the dupli color spray cans on mine I did the out side and the wheels I like it has a grate texture to it no glare no shine to it just bed liner lol! ive tested it with a shopping cart no chips no scratches rocks that have been tossed and keys no scratches let dry a good 24 hrs and do about 3 coats all light don't go crazy it will run if you don't but post pics theres all the info on how to do it have fun youll love it im doing it for people here now for around 600 to 1000 depending on size of car truck suv that includes material but advanced auto parts has it on sale for 2 for 20 bucks on the cans flap discs youll need 4 or 5 there 3 bucks a peace and acetone is 10 bucks for a gallon at home depot and micro fiber towels to wipe with

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...77867780-n.jpg
that's my xj
Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Hey, Griffen! I think it would have looked a lot better if you had ground off the nailheads before you did it, although it looks good. BTW, how many miles had you got in those AT2's?

Wheelerboy, I love your paint job! My 2000 WJ looks sick because the trim is battleship grey and I hate it. The car is white and I think I'll do the trim in black. The door handles, hatch hinges, mirrors, and cowl insert are black, but the bumpers and trim are sick grey. I'll leave the grill chrome because it's a Grand.

Rustoleum for plastic, huh?

BTW, I saw a CJ done in bedliner on the whole body! This was a serious off-road machine.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-21-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by dave1123
Hey, Griffen! I think it would have looked a lot better if you had ground off the nailheads before you did it, although it looks good. BTW, how many miles had you got in those AT2's?

Wheelerboy, I love your paint job! My 2000 WJ looks sick because the trim is battleship grey and I hate it. The car is white and I think I'll do the trim in black. The door handles, hatch hinges, mirrors, and cowl insert are black, but the bumpers and trim are sick grey. I'll leave the grill chrome because it's a Grand.

BTW, I saw a CJ done in bedliner on the whole body! This was a serious off-road machine.
Thanks! I love it too haha, i think jeep should have put a little more thought into the cladding colors instead of just doing them all gray, its pretty bland and doesnt really go with some of the colors that they use on grands, like on mine the red looked really stupid with the gray, not very contrasting, or attractive, now that i painted it gloss black it really stands out and turns heads! I bet it would do the same for your white one!

On another note i painted my grill because the chrome was in sad shape, and i dont like the look of it with the red jeep.

And yea rustoleum paint for plastics, its amazing stuff, i had a 78 k10 with the red interior, i used the paint for plastics to paint all the trim black. And it held up for a long time, and the black on my jeep seems to be holding up well, but the real test will be when i scrape it on a tree or rock wheeling. We will see how it holds up to that.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM

I left the nail heads on there just in case I decide to put the cladding back on in the future. I have about 1300 on the AT2's with a few wheel trips. I have blown the side wall out on 2 of them wheeling that's the only down side about them is a weak side wall other than that I love them they have been great
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I bought my AT2's for snow and found them fabulous for the purpose. I've pushed snow so deep my headlights were covered! I will keep the sidewalls in mind though. Radials are known for tender sidewalls. I'm running them year round because I can't afford to buy another set of wheels and tires. Also, the dealer said they are actually rated as an all-season tire. I have about 10K on mine and don't notice any wear yet, just a slight rounding of the blocks.

My driveway is gravel and I only plowed it twice because I didn't want it it freeze into ruts. I feel pretty confident about not getting stuck with these tires.

Sorry to question you logic about the nailheads. That was good foresight.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-22-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

I got my bumper professionally done with REAL Bedliner. (Speed liner) and I used monstaliner on everything else and couldn't be more upset about it. I have prepped and painted many things. (I even prepped my bumper for the speed liner) and never had a problem. But with monstaliner I've had nothing but problems. I've used rustoleum in a can. It's okay. It's not Bedliner just a textured spray paint. Works though.
Attached Thumbnails Bed Liner-image-1315266715.jpg   Bed Liner-image-4111023741.jpg   Bed Liner-image-834214126.jpg   Bed Liner-image-3837458186.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Wheelerboy, I've worked in plastics most of my life. It's more cost effective to mold them all in one color than to make different colors. Also, color matching between batches is very difficult unless all are black, and black fades over time and gets chalky. Being grey, they can use more regrind and maintain color. I don't have to like it, though!

My fear about spray painting is overspray. I'll have to tape the entire car before I'd dare use black near white! I think it will look real sharp.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM

I bought my AT2's for snow and found them fabulous for the purpose. I've pushed snow so deep my headlights were covered! I will keep the sidewalls in mind though. Radials are known for tender sidewalls. I'm running them year round because I can't afford to buy another set of wheels and tires. Also, the dealer said they are actually rated as an all-season tire. I have about 10K on mine and don't notice any wear yet, just a slight rounding of the blocks.

My driveway is gravel and I only plowed it twice because I didn't want it it freeze into ruts. I feel pretty confident about not getting stuck with these tires.

Sorry to question you logic about the nailheads. That was good foresight.
Yeah I love the AT2's but once they get worn out I think I am going to go with some KM2's.. but that will be awhile down the road. No big deal on the nail heads I just wasnt sure if I would like the no cladding look or if I would ever want to put it back on so figured better to be safe than sorry, but I do love the bed liner on it so far!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cherokeekid4x4
I got my bumper professionally done with REAL Bedliner. (Speed liner) and I used monstaliner on everything else and couldn't be more upset about it. I have prepped and painted many things. (I even prepped my bumper for the speed liner) and never had a problem. But with monstaliner I've had nothing but problems. I've used rustoleum in a can. It's okay. It's not Bedliner just a textured spray paint. Works though.
yea the stuff in the can its called bed armor works looks cool I tried to use a roll on before and tons of problems looks good none the less like the bed liner bumper