Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

battery gauge and alarm questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER
Default battery gauge and alarm questions

well, my beast is acting up again. the manufacturing alarm quit working about a month ago. i'm talking about the low grade version that your horn honks when you lock your doors with your keys. my battery gauge drops to between 9 - 10 volts when i try to crank my jeep ( 97 grand cherokee laredo 2wd 4.0L ) . the motor turns over but doesn't fire up. took my voltmeter and the battery reads 12.6 volts with everything off. thought the battery might be bad. put it in my friends pickup truck and his motor fired right up with the battery at issue. checked the positive connection to the alternator with the meter and it reads 12.6 volts also. jump starting the jeep has no effect at all. motor turns over without firing. all connections are good. i'm getting fuel and i have a good spark. i used my warranties on all my sensors and misc. parts , and traded them in for new parts from napa ( just in case scenarios ). new distributor cap, rotor, cam sensor ( pick-up coil ) , TPS , CPS , plugs , plug wires , ignition coil , IAC , and MAP sensor. i've checked all the relays and fuses. all of them good. i have had this happen like 3 times in the past when i've changed out parts. eventually, the motor would fire up. not this time. where the hell is this alarm wiring attached (under the dash ? ) and will disconnecting it allow me to drive the jeep? please don't tell me that it's the voltage regulator ( inside the computer and not replaceable ) . any suggestions would be appreciated. again, 97 gc 4.0L
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.slow

My alarm circuit is in the dome light. I didn't know until I pulled the head liner out and attempted to lock it up while it was unplugged.