Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Bad PCM? Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Bad PCM? Wiring?

Hello Everyone, I am having a bit of an issue with my jeep... I tried searching around but couldn't find what I was looking for , I was able to find something similar but it was for a 4.7l Gran Cherokee.

A little information on my jeep,

Started life as a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport- 2wd. I purchased it with 1220k miles, bought a donor 4x4 jeep, same year same everything (even color) and transferred both axles, driveshafts, and transmission/ transfer case. after that I installed a 3" Rough Country lift.

few months ago I was out wheeling and my jeep kept stalling on me.. every 2-3 seconds it would die, When I looked under the jeep (after checking everything else) I saw that the lower oxygen sensor wire had caught some thing and tore the wires, the front driveshaft and the bare wires were touching and causing the jeep to stall. I removed the wires got a new 02 sensor and was good for about 4 months.

About a week ago I started noticing the compressor would stop engaging after getting to operating temperature, and driving on the highway. It started to not turn on at all, I would then have to restart the jeep and it would work again.

Well yesterday I lost OD, checked the fuses and had a o2 sensor fuse blown so I replaced it and the a/c does not work at all anymore.

I went to pull the codes and this is what I have:

P0136 -o2 (B1 S2) Heater circuit low input conditions- (checked connections everything is good)
P1491-radiator fan control relay circuit malfunction-??
P0443 -EVAP purge solenoid circuit fault-??
P0130 -o2 circuit (B1 S1)-also checked, everything looks good
P0740 -A/T Torque converter clutch- no rpm drop at lockup
P0705 -A/T check shifter signal circuit malfunction

Has anyone ever had anything similar happen to them?

I am no sure where to start...

Things Ive Done:
Checked all underhood fuses
checked the wire harness on the transmission, and engine bay
erased all codes, they came back

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by 99FreshenedCherokee; 10-23-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

Good News! Figured it out, just incase anyone ever has the same issue it turned out to be 2 Fuses!

1) under the hood. It is a yellow 20 amp minifuse located To the very right in the middle row of mini fuses ( shows they are for the o2 sensors)

1) under the kick panel on the front passenger side. It is #10, a blue 15 amp minifuse wich controls ac clutch, fans, rear lights, transmission, evap solenoid..

So all is well!!