Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

bad caliper/piston?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default bad caliper/piston?

Hi, i have som trouble with my front breaks, i have removed one caliper, should i be able to pull the piston out (not taking it out, only moving it) by hand? I cant move it out, or push it inn (the brake hose is off). The breake was hot and i think the piston is gone. I have ordered new calipers, but i want to know if the old are crap. If the break goes hot, do i need to replace the break pads to? Its not hot as red (it wasnt glowing in the dark), but it was smelling realy hot, but the pads is brand new. Should i replace both side?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It will take some pressure to get the pistons to move, the seal fits pretty tight.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

you one caliper goes out, they both have had the same amount of wear and tear iw ould replace them both.... but with the brake hose off, yes you should be able to slid the piston in prolly not out if you push it in to far but yes you can/should be able to slid the piston in by hand.... also (i havent done brakes on a jeep yet) you could have a siezed slider pin if they are locked up. it wont allow the brakes to release pressure on the rotor and will continue to lightly grab.... hope this helps
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Bustedback
It will take some pressure to get the pistons to move, the seal fits pretty tight.
I can press the piston in with my hands 1/2 mm and move it back out 1/2mm, if i put a screwdriver in the hole where the hose go, should i be able to push it out or isnt that possible?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Year: 1998

NO you wont be able to get a screwdriver in there small enough and be able to push it...

im trying to reread your post to see exactly where your trying to go with this lol.... but your rotors will get hot regardless.... you figure how fast they are going and the brakes being applied.... yea it gets a little warm lol. ive honestly never seen a *piston* fail normally its the seal around it.... or it freezes up completely rust from sitting a long time. but you can rebuild a caliper. another thing if your feeling it you can remove the piston completely take a little sandpaper to the outside of the piston and the inside of the caliper and put a new seal on it and essentially have a new caliper.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I've used air to remove the piston from the caliper. Place something, like a piece of
wood between it and the caliper, then apply air to where the hose connects.
Keep your fingers out of the way and the wood will stop the piston from flying out.
In other cases, where the piston was seized to tight for the air, I've screwed in a grease fitting into the hose port and pumped grease into it. Worked like a charm,
tho you do use a good amount of grease.