Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Back doors will not close properly

Old 12-20-2014, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Back doors will not close properly

So I recently purchased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the back doors won't lock properly. When I try to close my doors they just don't close they won't catch whatever they have to, to stay closed. I have to go over to the doors and change the way the hinges are to make it stay closed. Is there a easy way to fix this or am I in some deep $**t. Please help !!!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Madman123
So I recently purchased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the back doors won't lock properly. When I try to close my doors they just don't close they won't catch whatever they have to, to stay closed. I have to go over to the doors and change the way the hinges are to make it stay closed. Is there a easy way to fix this or am I in some deep $**t. Please help !!!
Did you try spraying pb blaster or something into the latch/lock mechanism?
Old 12-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Okay, I've had the same problems with my '00 WJ and the fix is LUBE, LUBE, LUBE! For some reason the rear doors are the worst for this. Either the latch handles, inside or outside, or both, tend to not return fully and that doesn't allow the latches to catch. Before I soaked them with PB Blaster, I had to pull the inside handles and allow them to snap back to get them to catch. Sometimes it was the outside handle. The door lock slides were set up and wouldn't more at all. You could hear the lock accuaters buzz, but they didn't lock or unlock.

Once I got them loosened up, I soaked the door latches from the outside, the actual latches on the door edge, with Hoppe's Gun Oil. So far it's worked. I have a problem with the passenger's rear window sticking closed and in the spring, I'll remove the door panel for that and lube everything with spray grease.

Pay close attention to the hatch latches! They are another problem with the WJ. There are 2, one on each side, that also get funky. If you're ever in the Pick&Pull yard, grab a couple of hatch latches. You're probably going to need them and they are $149 from the dealer. $5 from P&P. They CAN be removed from the outside without pulling the panel off, but you'll have to cut the wiring for the switches to make it easy. Rotate the latch and pull it out, cut the wire, and unhook the cable.

If your driver's window moves slow in the cold, try lubing the rain seal strip with Amour-All wipes. It works for me.

If you need any other advise about your WJ, go to wjjeeps.com or PM me. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-20-2014 at 08:39 PM.