Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

aw4 problem/question. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default aw4 problem/question. please help!

i have a 93 grand cherokee 4.0 aw4 trans. strictly offroad toy anymore. Here is my problem hopefully someone can help me.

ive had the rig about 2 years now, try to go wheelin about once a month. took the rig out new years day. wheeled for around 3 hrs, then got stuck in a deep water hole. i ended up breaking a front shaft so i knew i wasnt getting out. I did the reverse forward thing a few times, but knowing i was sitting on axles, didnt go full throttle or even close in that matter. i did it like 4 times. finally got a strap hooked up and got out of the hole. drove away from the hole, then all of a sudden its like the jeep didnt want to move. felt like the trans was slipping or it was stuck in a higher gear. anyway babied it back to the trailer. i parked it let it sit for a few, then fired it back up checked the fluid. the fluid looked alittle dark, so i just loaded it up and went home. felt like i had all the power when pulling up on trailer. we figured we may have gotten water in trans so i changed the filter and fluid.
the jeep pretty much sat around other then starting it every once in awhile and driving back and forth down the driveway.
Then over this past weekend had a chance to take it out, hopefully i would find out if the trans was damaged. it was about 73 degrees, wheeled for about 4 hrs. trans was doing awesome, not one propblem. then all of a sudden got stuck in some mud, no water. I had to do the forward reverse method, did this 4 times. giving it just enough to get the wheels spinning. wasnt going crazy pinned wide open or anything even close to it. took maybe 5 mins to get out. then go straight from that to a small hill climb and it was like it was stuck in a higher gear? Seems like my problem keeps showing up when i use the forward/reverse method!? sorry for the long post. anybody ever had a problem like this? where do i start? suggestion are welcome. help me out.