Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Antifreeze help for an confused new owner of a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Europe.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Antifreeze help for an confused new owner of a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Europe.

I am a bit lost in the world of European coolants hoping some experienced Jeep owners can help.

Moved to Europe a few month back and bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0L. I was able to get the build sheet for it and it is the export model WG, but other than some folding mirrors and a few reflectors on the rear bumper I think it is pretty much the same as a WJ... I think...(Happy to hear if anyone wants to correct me on that!)

All is relatively well, and enjoying my first Jeep so far!

Now I want to do a coolant flush before winter settles in, as I don't trust the stuff in there. But you can't get Mopar coolant, or even Prestone or Zyrex here. I see G12, G11, G12+, G40 etc on the shelves and not having much luck getting good advice due to the language barrier, and lack of a lot of Jeeps here.

The manual I have (which is a xerox copy of I believe a US manual, I was told this was originally bought by the US gov over here) recommend a quality ethylene-glycol coolant. What looks to be in there is a classic green-yellow, but I know colors mean little in the coolant game these days.

I have read on some forums say HOAT coolant was specified for that year, and I believe that is what G-11 is. This brand is stocked in my local store, and they seem to list G11 for Chrysler model years 1985-2007. However, I saw elsewhere (though I can't find the link anymore), that G12 was recommended for Chrysler 1998-2007.

My searching of multiple forums does not turn up much on coolant recommendations outside the US. I know there are compatibility issues, and I have read a horror story or two on some forums about the wrong coolant causing trouble. I am pretty confused about which coolant I can replace it with.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

welcome to the site pjimmy !

I may be wrong but don't think I am from what I understand the g11 Blue I believe is the same as the green anti freeze and g12 is red same as the orange dex cool type in the states as long as your flushing the system then you can use either and be good you just cant mix them
Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Go with the yellow universal stuff
Old 10-05-2018, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
Go with the yellow universal stuff
That was my plan originally but unfortunately, in the 8 or so local auto parts stores I have checked there is no yellow universal coolant. I am in Kosovo, and I think the stock available is less than most countries
Old 10-05-2018, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie
welcome to the site pjimmy !

I may be wrong but don't think I am from what I understand the g11 Blue I believe is the same as the green anti freeze and g12 is red same as the orange dex cool type in the states as long as your flushing the system then you can use either and be good you just cant mix them
`Thanks for the welcome RockinRonnie. I think you are right. I will probably go with the G11 to be n the safer side, as I think the old stuff is the green, and in case my flush misses anything I don't want any reaction.