Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Alarm sounds when unlocking door

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.2L V8
Default Alarm sounds when unlocking door

Hi all:

I have a 1999 GCL, and recently the alarm has been sounding whenever the door is unlocked with a key.

I had noticed that if I turned the key hard to the right, the overhead light would come on, and the alarm would disarm properly. Lately though, no matter how forcefully I turn the key, the overhead light does not come on, and the alarm sounds until I put the key in the ignition.

Is there a mechanical sensor in the door that perhaps has a contact that is no longer working due to use/wear that just needs to be bent back into place?

Was wondering if anyone knew before I start tearing into the door, thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.2L V8

Originally Posted by RabidWombat
Hi all:

I have a 1999 GCL, and recently the alarm has been sounding whenever the door is unlocked with a key.

I had noticed that if I turned the key hard to the right, the overhead light would come on, and the alarm would disarm properly. Lately though, no matter how forcefully I turn the key, the overhead light does not come on, and the alarm sounds until I put the key in the ignition.

Is there a mechanical sensor in the door that perhaps has a contact that is no longer working due to use/wear that just needs to be bent back into place?

Was wondering if anyone knew before I start tearing into the door, thanks!
... turning key hard to the left, actually ... used to work fine ... ideas?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Engine: 4.7L Petrol/Gas

For what it is worth – my 2000 WJ does this, so unless I want to annoy the neighbours, I use the fob to unlock the vehicle.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Year: 2011
Engine: 5.7

I would guess the sensor can go bad...my daughter's 93 ZJ did not come with keyfobs, so we have to unlock with the key...at one point we couldn't use the drivers door, we had to use the hatch. After I was in the door for some other work (replacing speakers), I don't recall doing anything in particular besides tightening up the courtesy light. Ever since i did that, the drivers door has been disarming the alarm with no problems.... try using the hatch or passenger door instead and see if that works.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Model: Cherokee

the door sensor sounds like its going bad.
the module to control it is behind the glove box. if you want to remove it and disable the alarm permanently.

I did, its a bit of a process, you have to do it while the engine is running then re-train it how to idle properly the next time you start it. but if you have one sensor going bad chances are other will to, and there are a lot of them.