Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Air conditioning compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V-8
Default Air conditioning compressor

I hope I am in the right spot. Anyway, my 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited is on its 4th Air conditioning compressor this year. It is being done by a shop but I am tired of taking it back for yet another compressor (even though it is free because they warrant their work). Most recently they installed a new from the jeep dealer compressor so it can't be a quality of rebuild issue. Further they have installed new accumulators and receiver dryers. Any help/ideas as to what they should fix next will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Hi drpullar and Welcome to the Forum. You are most definitely in the right place.

If we assume the original compressor failed and filled the system with debris then it is possible they have not been able to fully flush all the contamination out of the system. This would seem the most likely scenario, but again, I am assuming. Replacing ALL components might be the only cure. Alternately, it might not be the compressor but a flakey pressure switch that shuts the system down and the shop is not fully diagnosing and just swapping out the compressor.

Lots of assuming going on since we don't have our heads under the hood or know what the shop has been checking.

Best of luck!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, here's one scenario that might help because we went thru this on my wife's Dodge Caravan. According to the dealer, the expansion orifice in the evaporator was freezing up and backpressuring the compressor with liquid freon and locking it up. IDK, but the dealer replaced the compressor, filter/dryer, and pressure pipe to the firewall and it worked until we got rid of the van. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Default Thanks fellows

This is an attempt to respond to both of your much appreciated suggestions.

I have discussed the problem with the shop and they assure me they have "flushed" the system with a product so particles can not be the problem. But I wonder if debris could be lodged in the evaporator or the condenser and periodically break loose? As to the expansion orifice the repair shop had not done anything with the evaporator. I discussed this possibility with the dealer (ho is not doing the repairs) and they believed that could be a possibility.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Well, as I said, this was our experience and that was what our dealer told us, but whatever he actually did, he fixed it. I had already replaced the compressor twice. One was a functioning used one and the other was a rebuilt one. All 3 burnt the clutch out and wouldn't turn. Both times I had the system pumped down and recharged, the second time with oil.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the help but the problem continues…
The air conditioning in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited witha 4.7 L V-8 has continued to destroy compressors and we (the local Jeep dealerin Washington, the local repair shop and your truly) are stumped. Since 6/3/20154 new compressors have been installed and have failed. Along with replacing thecompressor and clutch, the hoses, accumulator, liquid lines and orifice tube havebeen replaced. The system has been flushed and everything comes out clear (nofilings/cuttings evident) and the fluid is not milky so it is believed theevaporator and the condenser are okay. A machine is used to recharge thesystem. FYI: All compressor failures have been detected when the Jeep is first startedin the morning. The Jeep currently has 108,000 miles and has been owned by mesince new and the original compressor lasted until 2011 and was replaced by thesame shop and it lasted until now, 6/2015. The replacement parts are of a goodquality and, in fact, one compressor was came from Chrysler.
I discussed the problem with the local dealership and theywere forthcoming but had no solutions except to replace every part and see whathappens. They believed the only electronics were a relay switch for the clutchso it was unlikely some sort of control electronic circuitry malfunction couldbe causing the failures.
The only question raised by the repair shop (great guys thathave not abandoned me) is whether a make/break situation in the wiring loomcould be causing the failures. That is, could it be doing something withclutch?
I have shared the information received previously with theshop and we are still stumped so please.
Help, Help and all help is welcome
Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Are they reman compressors or brand new oem ones ?
Old 10-18-2015, 12:32 AM

They tell me the compressors were new. One was from the Jeep dealer and the other three were of a good quality.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

reman and new oem are different and priced a lot different.The remans are hit and miss i have had a few go bad fast like that.