Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

aerial amplifier

Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001 & 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3960
Default aerial amplifier

GC WJ - does anyone know where the aerial amplifier is on a 2001 model limited as the reception on my radio is garbage.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Engine: 4.7L Petrol/Gas

I can’t think of any reason for a vehicle manufacturer to fit an aerial amplifier – when a basic radio will have the required sensitivity to receive normal strength signals.

If you have poor reception on your radio, then it is most likely that there is a poor connection in the aerial lead, either at the connection to the radio or at the external antenna.

These days, such a fault is not so easy to pin down. In olden days, you could remove the radio, with the wires still attached and plug in a good antenna to check all is OK with the set. But now, pulling the radio/CD from the dash will disconnect everything.

My advice would be to remove the radio and see if you can see any issues with the aerial connection, then see if you can’t trace the rf cable to the antenna – giving the cable a gentle wiggle.

Make sure you have the radio code, otherwise you can say goodbye to the cassette, CD and radio – unless you pay Chrysler for the code.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM

Year: 2001 & 1999
Engine: 3960

Thanks for the reply have checked the radio and cleaned the right side rear window connections - don't know if it's a brit thing but the aerial or antenna over there is set into the drivers side - off side to you rear quarter glass. I have no external antenna.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Engine: 4.7L Petrol/Gas

According to the workshop manual, poor radio reception could be caused by:-
A faulty antenna
Faulty ground (of the radio chassis)
Faulty radio
Faulty EMI or RFI suppression

Therefore besides checking out the antenna connection, check the radio chassis to be reliably grounded.
EMI will be evident from operation of the relevant electrical component causing the electrical noise, e.g. only present when an electrically noisy motor is operating, engine ignition etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 AM

Model: Cherokee
Thumbs up Aerial problem

I had the same useless reception from my 2002 grand cherokee aerial fitted in the rear quarter window. Tried all sorts of things to fix it to no availe so I decided to buy a new bee sting type to fit in the roof at the back running a 4M extension via the roof lining and windscreen pillar.

Set to work on doing this by taking off the door seal on the drivers side door pillar as a starting point. Having done so I found the original aerial cable routed down there and to my surprise I also found an aerial connector which had pulled apart!! Pushed it back together and 'hey presto' brilliant signal!!

I can only think that over the years the cable has shrunk and pulled itself apart.

I know this post is probably too late to help the original poster of this problem but I hope it helps someone in the future.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I was about to tell about my 97 ZJ, but the glass antenna through me off. My antenna lead extension was loose behind the glove box.