Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Advice Regarding Lift & Purpose

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Advice Regarding Lift & Purpose

I have the funds readily available to buy a 3.5 lift kit but I just can't justify the cost. It's like $400-$600 bucks plus the cost to install. I live in an apt complex and don't have the time nor the resources to install this myself.

My Jeep is 99% of the time daily driven. I'd like to try mudding but the whole reason I bought this vehicle was to have a reliable means of transportation when it rains and floods here in south florida. My vette sits way too low for a lot of the puddles in my area.

I'm starting to think a 2inch budget boost would suffice. I'd have a more aggressive stance, be able to fit 31 inch tires, and save a bunch of money at the cost of 1.5 inches.

However I'd hate like hell to buy a 2inch budget boost, fall in love with mudding, and need something more. But..again..not sure 1.5 inches is going to make a earth-shattering difference. Honestly, I could justify that kind of expense if it were for 45 more horsepower or a nice sound system but for an extra inch and a half? And THEN there's the chain reaction of events associated with preventing death wobble, driveshafts, adjustable control arms, bucking/stiff handling, etc.

Last edited by po0dingles; 01-09-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It isnt about the size of the lift. It is about the quality of the lift. A budget boost is garbage compared to a real lift. If you want blocks and spacers then go budget. If you want a real lift then piece your own together or buy a kit.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Just buy some all terrain tires and drive it stock. Or if you think your springs are in good shape you could do front spacers and rear shackles for a small (1.5") lift. I wouldn't do lift blocks. Lockers will get you further off-road than any lift kit.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, this is a 98 ZJ, not an XJ. It has no rear shackles.

My WJ NEEDS a 2" lift for snow pack. I've been told to buy the "up-country" springs rather than a BB. A 2" lift shouldn't change any suspension geometry, just get it aligned after doing the lift.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95

If you're not planning to do any serious off roading, I don't know why a 2" BB wouldn't work. You'll need to research whether or not 2" is enough lift for 31" tires..
I'm currently running a set of 30x9.50-15's off an '06 Wrangler on my 95 ZJ with no lift and they work just fine, but I have no experience with the 31's on a GC.
I've been researching lift kits as of late, and although I'm looking at possibly going with 3 1/2" system I did come across this information about Upcountry suspension.

Hope it helps.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techart...coupgrade.html

PS. Note that it says in the article that the new springs only lifted his Jeep 1".
Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95

Another thing to consider is that with a smaller lift, all of the bad things that were mentioned at the end of the op are not likely to happen. Most of those only show up when a 3" or larger lift is installed.
If you've never wheeled before, I'd suggest you start small. It's VERY normal to want more after you've done that, but it's a good progression to make.
It's also pretty common to go with a larger lift and then regret the stiffer ride. You'd be out a lot less if it turns out that it's not your cup of tea.
Otherwise, join a Jeep club in your area and get out with them on a trail ride or two. Tell them what you're after and they'll probably help you decide what's best for your area and desired usage. Look at the other rigs in the club, talk to the owners...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Wheel it stock for a while, you'll be surprised just how well a bone stock ZJ will perform. Then you can decide on what lift you should spend money on. You get what you pay for with a lift. You will be happier with the results if you buy a high quality lift kit, and you will have a lot less headaches too.