Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Adding Amp/Subs to stock stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Adding Amp/Subs to stock stereo...

ive looked around and havent found much but i really suck with the search feature lol....

basically i have an amp with 2 12 in Kicker L7s and wanna use the stock head unit and all...... can i do this? i have the wiring kit in and ready to go.. the remote is gonna go fused from the battery and to a switch that i will be able to control when i wanna turn the speakers on and all... i have an adapter thingy to wire into the back speakers then run RCAs off that....

A guy at best buy said that with the infinity gold stereo will go haywire if i try and hook anything up to it and all. anybody have any feedback on it? would i be ok to do this? all ive done is wire the amp to the subs and run hot and ground. i havent touched the stock system with the fear of frying everything then HAVING to buy a new head unit.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: V8 Hemi

I have a aftermarket head unit and I'm still using infinity stock system in sync with my AM amp and subs. I wanted to use the factory head unit but no RCA output, and couldn't find anything to make it work... I did find a steering wheel control adaptor thou..

Never heard of the way your setting it up so I hope someone can answer ur question, just remember to unplug your battery so you don't fry your stuff! Made that mistake b 4...
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 5.2

1slo_camaro: What your talking about doing is pretty challenging. I have done this on several cars that don't have a aftermarket raido harness that provides AUX out for the stock deck. It is possible to hook up your amp, but you need to have a eletronic scope to take the signal from your speakers and then if the signal is powered you need an inverter so you dont blow your amp with powered signal.
I'm actually installing a sub in my jeep this weekend and will be using the factory deck and speakers. When I get done, ill try to post some how to tips for you and maybe you can follow what I've done. but honestly, if your not electroniclly inclined or know someone who is, I'd look for aftermarket options.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

/\ /\ thankyou but i actually got them wired up today lol ill post everything i have on another forum on here lol
Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 w/K&N Intake

If your sub amp doesn't have a "speaker level" input all you really need is a line level converter which will typically present an 8Ω load to the head unit's speaker output and step the signal down to a line level signal suitable for an amplifier input. If your system already has an amplifier that your tapping off the output of to drive the sub amp the critical thing will be to make sure that amp can handle the additional load.
That is to say if the amp can handle a 4Ω-8Ω load and it currently has 8Ω speakers hooked up to it, adding the level converter in parallel to the output will present the factory amp with a 4Ω load which should be fine though you may notice a reduction in volume to the speakers sharing a connection with the converter. If the amp can not handle a load that low, it will work but you run the risk of possibly cooking the factory amps transistors eventually if the amp frequently gets hot.