Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 Grand Cherokee 4.7. Sudden dying issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 Grand Cherokee 4.7. Sudden dying issue

good evening all oh, I have a 99 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 and any given time it's nothing that's anticipated the engine will shut down no matter if you're driving no matter if you're parked and when you turn the key to try to start the engine none of the gauges will react they all remain at zero the starter will engage but it feels like it's not getting gas.... I've headed to the dealership and of course it's not throwing any codes and they can't figure it out it's been to two other mechanics who have not been able to help me diagnose an issue, starter, battery, crankshaft sensor, camshaft shaft sensor have all been replaced.. it doesn't throw any codes you can't pick it up on a typical diagnostic but the vehicle will just die and if you let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes amazingly it will fire back up, I'm at my Wit's End I don't know what other direction I can look at I need help badly
Old 01-30-2019, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Cherokeeirish
good evening all oh, I have a 99 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 and any given time it's nothing that's anticipated the engine will shut down no matter if you're driving no matter if you're parked and when you turn the key to try to start the engine none of the gauges will react they all remain at zero the starter will engage but it feels like it's not getting gas.... I've headed to the dealership and of course it's not throwing any codes and they can't figure it out it's been to two other mechanics who have not been able to help me diagnose an issue, starter, battery, crankshaft sensor, camshaft shaft sensor have all been replaced.. it doesn't throw any codes you can't pick it up on a typical diagnostic but the vehicle will just die and if you let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes amazingly it will fire back up, I'm at my Wit's End I don't know what other direction I can look at I need help badly
Yeah, just the fact that they did a starter, battery, crank and cam sensors, shows that no diagnosis was achieved.

Has anybody been able to catch it in the act? Or is that what has made diagnosing it so difficult?

One of the tips on the forum here is to start the vehicle, put on a pair of work gloves, and gently tug the wiring harness (where you can) to see if jostling the wiring brings the problem to the surface. Wiring may not even be the issue, but this test is free and easy. So its worth doing. Do NOT tug hard on the wiring harness, just gently jostle it where ever it is feasible to do so. To help simulate the conditions under which it might be happening.

If I were in your shoes, the next tool I would want is a cheap OBD2 scanner. So that I could see if there were any obvious signs from the computer that things are out of sorts. It will also help scan for codes should that be needed as you go forward.

One component that loves to fail without any codes being thrown is the fuel pump. It can fail on its own, or because of electrical issues. I'm surprised with all of the other things replaced, that they didn't convince you to replace this component as well. (because fuel pump, cam/crank sensors, ignition coils, and battery would all be likely targets for the "parts canon"). Though replacing the starter in this situation doesn't seem to make much sense.

Also, this is the Jeep Cherokee Forum (not Grand Cherokee). You may find more specific help for your particular vehicle's problems in the Grand Cherokee forum:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/
Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 PM

That's exactly what has made it very difficult to diagnose, it's very sporadic when it happens like it's been fine for the past 3 week it hasn't happened and then today on my way home I stopped at the convenience store, no keep in mind I had no issues on the ride home and I got a 30-minute ride both ways, I stopped at the convenience store turned it off his normal got out put the alarm on was in the store for like less than 3 minutes came back out put the key in turn it over and the odometer came on but none of my needles moved my fuel gauge my battery gauge or the temperature gauge the starter would kick but it wouldn't start
Old 01-30-2019, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Next time it happens. Put the key in and turn it to the on position (don't crank the engine), then turn it off. Do this 3 times. Then look at the odometer reading to see if it shows you a P#### code. It may show more than one by cycling through them. If it does....WRITE them down and report back to us. It may only have the code when the problem is happening.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:01 PM

Jordan, it died on me this afternoon and that was the first thing I tried to do and it would not spit a code it would not even spit the normal done after you do it all I did was show me the odometer that's what makes it so hard to diagnose I've also bought a decent OBD 2 scanner and it has not pulled up any abnormalities
Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Ok. Good at least you were trying to do the right thing.

When it dies while driving...does it immediately and completely shut off? Or does it feel like its getting weaker for 2-3 seconds and then die? Or is it too hard to tell?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:25 PM

It immediately shuts down with no hesitation and no warning whatsoever
Old 04-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Default 99 jeep

I've been fighting this same problem my self, been to 3 different shops with out any luck , 400 bux later no luck they did put in a used computer but still does the same thing I have checked all the usual things associated with it , last resort im going to order a new computer if that dont work im selling it LOL
Old 04-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Check the 2 wires that come out of the POS (+) battery cable clamp. I had the same problem with my 2000 WJ and the wire that feeds the PDC was corroded inside the lead terminal. It was just corroded enough to drop the voltage intermittently so the computer shut the engine off. When that happened, all my gauges went to zero. Sometimes it would correct itself and all the gauges would go full scale, then return to normal. 2 bolt-on cable clamps solved the problem.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-19-2019 at 01:33 PM.