Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 Cherokee Sport Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 99 Cherokee Sport Headlight Issue

Hey all,

Recently had my headlight switch go out on me and replaced it with a Standard switch terminal and female connector (old one was partially melted) and since then my dash lights haven't come on, nor my fog lights.

Per a different thread, I checked the #6 fuse for the dimmer and that was fine, as well as the #22 fuse due to their connection. No issue there.

When I messed with the pull switch itself, however, I found that if I gently pull it out the fog lights will come on, as well as dash lights. But once I pull the switch to the complete on position they turn back off.

Ideally don't have to replace the whole setup again since it was a pain, but do any of you have any ideas where the issue might be?

Bad switch terminal? Need a new pull?

(Note that I added an aftermarket relay for the headlight switch to avoid it brining out again, but that has been removed for this endeavor)

Any help appreciated.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Sounds for all the world like your new switch is defective out of the box, but before heading back to the parts store I would take it apart again and have a look, just maybe you see something obvious like loose connection. If they come on even briefly you aren't looking for a blown fuse. See if they come on when you hotwire them.