Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

00 Sport, FRONT turn signal/headlight issue...electrical gremlins HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 00 Sport, FRONT turn signal/headlight issue...electrical gremlins HELP

00 Sport (baby sis's jeep)

Noticed her driver side turn signal wasn't working, I purchased the bulb and told her to wait til I got home from work the following day to fix it...well...17 yr olds and listening.

"I replaced the bulb, it still doesn't work, and now the pass side doesnt work either".

Ugh.

So as of now we have:
All marker lights work when headlights are ON.
Turn blinkers on, only the rear works, and its going way fast (both sides)
Turn HAZARDS on, rears function normally, fronts do not function.
Low beams on-passenger lit, driver out.
Hi beams on- driver lit, passenger out.

I have a 01, same model. I swapped out the "flasher relay" under the steering wheel, with mine, no change...

HELP?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Check the ground wires for them. Also pull the bulbs and check the light sockets for corrosion.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM

why would they illuminate when the headlights are on and not when the blinkers if they were corroded or not grounded correctly?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by erk2581
why would they illuminate when the headlights are on and not when the blinkers if they were corroded or not grounded correctly?
They are separate elements and possibly only dirty on one side. I have had one of my rear lights do the same the lights would come on with the headlights and brake lights but no turn signal. Cleaned it up and it worked fine.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Check the ground wires for them. Also pull the bulbs and check the light sockets for corrosion.
x2 Yea Chrysler does a weird thing where like 6 wires come together then to somewhere for a ground. The connection is behind the grill. I bet that is the issue. Can use a jumper to ground for a quick check.

They illuminate when the headlights are on to tell you there is a problem. cool feedback system and found this out when I rewired my headlights.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Just replaced the headlights...way brighter! But same issue. Low works driver, hi works passenger. We took ALL the bulbs out and cleaned ALL the terminals, they were pretty spotless to begin with. Checked EVERY fuse and relay having to do with anything light related, all fine. Did NOT check that ground behind the grille...have to do that tomorrow.

I'm also going to try swapping my working multi-function lever with hers, see if that its as well.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Yea i bet the ground is messed up. My running lights would work but were kinda dim and front blinkers wouldnt work, just went running lights to out then running lights again with blinkers and hazards. Stock headlight wiring really sucks. Its all 18-20 gauge wiring and upgrading it made a huge difference.

oh did you happen to pull the connector apart by the airbox to see the condition of that?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM

Connector by the airbox? Not familiar. Also, where exactly is this "master ground" behind the grille? I'm not seeing a bolt with a buncha grounds hooked up to it. Also, who has a good write-up on changing out the multi-function switch?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

All the wiring to the front lights go thru the rad support by the air box and the ground also goes thru that to who knows where, part of the feed back system or something. But theres a big plug down there, probably have to remove air box to get to it. Also you might have to find the goofy ground connection in the front wiring harness. I dont think the switch is an issue, yet
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM

Tore the steering column apart. Got TO the mult-func just dk how to remove it. All the connections to/from it are good solid and clean. I think I'm gonna have to call it a night soon then try to find that ground under the airbox. This is driving me absolutley insane.