Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exhaust manifold stud help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L
Question Exhaust manifold stud help?

Hello. I have a 88 Wagoneer 4.0 that I am trying to put new exhaust on. I have a new headpipe, cat, and cat-back system but I am at a standstill here. I have removed one of the two nuts from the exhaust header but have rounded the hex off of the other one. My header surprisingly does not have any cracks so I am looking to save it.

Is there ant way I can remove the nut without damaging the stud? I had thought of cutting it on both sides with a dremel tool but that might take a while. I am drawing blank on any other ideas. I have fixed a mile long list of other things it needed but this has me at a standstill. Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

You can cut into them with a dremel tool. It doesn't take too long, though you'll burn through probably 4 blades. You'll also end up cutting into the threaded rod a bit. However this shouldn't be a huge issue. After to make the two cuts on either side... Tap it with a hammer, or in my case, the end of your box wrench.

You can also try replacing the stud when you're finished, though I don't know how you would get it out of the block...

OR

You can file the head back to an original hex shape, PB it, and try again. It will take longer, and you'll need a smaller box wrench. Though it won't damage your threaded rod... Unless you snap it.

Last edited by KJamesJR; 04-11-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

This is the studs that hold the downpipe to the manifold. I will try the dremel idea but there isnt a whole lotta room up there and I am laying on my back the whole time. If I can get the nut off I can clean up the threads with a die (i hope). Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Those are studs on the Renix XJs? On my 99 they were just bolts, hacked up the old manifold with a sawzall to get enough room to cut the bolts
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by rustywaggy
Hello. I have a 88 Wagoneer 4.0 that I am trying to put new exhaust on. I have a new headpipe, cat, and cat-back system but I am at a standstill here. I have removed one of the two nuts from the exhaust header but have rounded the hex off of the other one. My header surprisingly does not have any cracks so I am looking to save it.

Is there ant way I can remove the nut without damaging the stud? I had thought of cutting it on both sides with a dremel tool but that might take a while. I am drawing blank on any other ideas. I have fixed a mile long list of other things it needed but this has me at a standstill. Thanks in advance for any information.
A Dremel with a small cut-off wheel will work - just watch your depth.

When you get replacements, use 3/8"-16 brass nuts. Trust me - they won't seize up like the steel ones do, and they're just fine with the low torque.

(How do I know they work? Been using them for years myself...)