Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 Cherokee Sport Steering Stabilizer fails again

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 Cherokee Sport Steering Stabilizer fails again

This seems to occur every 2 years or so. My steering stabilizer starts leaking and has to be replaced. I think that it should last longer than 2 years. I'm not rough on the vehicle. When it fails, I start getting death whobble. I beleive that my mechanic uses Munroe stabilizer. Is there a better brand out there? Any suggestions? I don't want to modify brackets to put in heavy duty hardware, I just want a better quality stabilizer.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by finiteguy
This seems to occur every 2 years or so. My steering stabilizer starts leaking and has to be replaced. I think that it should last longer than 2 years. I'm not rough on the vehicle. When it fails, I start getting death whobble. I beleive that my mechanic uses Munroe stabilizer. Is there a better brand out there? Any suggestions? I don't want to modify brackets to put in heavy duty hardware, I just want a better quality stabilizer.
Well, I hate to tell you. But it isn't your stabilizer. The is only covering up the real reason that you have a death wobble. The steering stabilizer will last for a real long time if you fix the actual problem and it could be several different thing that cause the death wobble. If you do a search on here you will find a possible fix for your Jeep.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

^x2, Proper setups shouldnt need a stabilizer. You have some digging to do
Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/di...-wobble-55021/

One of the problems in that write up is going to apply to you. And once you find that problem, get a more heavy duty stabilizer so it wont happen again. A vendor on this forum, SeriousOffRoad, sells a Blistein stabilizer. I'd do that. And do it yourself! It's just a couple bolts. Really simple
Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/di...-wobble-55021/

One of the problems in that write up is going to apply to you. And once you find that problem, get a more heavy duty stabilizer so it wont happen again. A vendor on this forum, SeriousOffRoad, sells a Blistein stabilizer. I'd do that. And do it yourself! It's just a couple bolts. Really simple
The stablizer does fail becasue it starts to leak. This I can see. It happens every 2 years or so. When it fails, I get the death whoble when I go over a bump. There could be other contributors to the whobble but a leaky stablizer seems to be the culpret. When I get it replaced, the probelm goes away.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

The stablizer does fail becasue it starts to leak. This I can see. It happens every 2 years or so. When it fails, I get the death whoble when I go over a bump. There could be other contributors to the whobble but a leaky stablizer seems to be the culpret. When I get it replaced, the probelm goes away.
You're kind of missing the point here though. You don't need a steering stabilizer. Something else is causing the death wobble and your steering stabilizer is masking it, and apparently taking a beating in the process.

Fix the cause of the death wobble, then replace your steering stabilizer.

Put the front up on stands and start checking everything over, have something turn the steering wheel while you watch for any slop or play.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Its not your stabilizer failing. Its the DW causing the stabilizer to fail. The stabilizer is masking your DW. Fix DW and stabilizer wont even be needed.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

factory style shock?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sthon
You're kind of missing the point here though. You don't need a steering stabilizer. Something else is causing the death wobble and your steering stabilizer is masking it, and apparently taking a beating in the process.

Fix the cause of the death wobble, then replace your steering stabilizer.

Put the front up on stands and start checking everything over, have something turn the steering wheel while you watch for any slop or play.
Originally Posted by meancherokee
Its not your stabilizer failing. Its the DW causing the stabilizer to fail. The stabilizer is masking your DW. Fix DW and stabilizer wont even be needed.
x2
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Could it be worn Track Bar? Is that an expensive repair?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Have a friend rock the steering wheel back and forth and look for stuff moving underneath. could be alot of things
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Could it be worn Track Bar? Is that an expensive repair?
That's one of the most common causes of death wobble. So yes, that'd be the best place to start your search for a worn steering or suspension component. It is not expensive or difficult to do. Are you lifted at all? Or are you stock? If you are at stock height, it will be a very cheap fix. If you are lifted, the part may be a tad expensive (make sure to get a quality track bar like the double sheer track bar from Iron Rock Offroad). But it is worth every penny to replace it. Because if it is not replaced and death wobble persists, a TON of stress is put on other steering/suspension components, causing them to wear a lot faster than they normally would.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Just saw an interesting you Tube Bleeping Jeep regarding track bar problems. I will check mine out tommorow. Thanks everyone for pointing out the the steering stabilizer masks the problem.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Just saw an interesting you Tube Bleeping Jeep regarding track bar problems. I will check mine out tommorow. Thanks everyone for pointing out the the steering stabilizer masks the problem.
What gets me is, that after reading all of everyones advice, i'm almost certain that it's a loose suspension part causing DW. I recently had a ball joint replaced and an aligment and the mechanic told me that me front end was tight. I'm sure that he didn't check it correctly. I guess I should find another mechanic or do the work myself. I'm not that handy with cars and I'm not as agile as I was when I was younger. Difficult to crawl under the Jeep. Anyway, thank you all for your sound advice on this.