Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

98 ZJ laredo 4.0 codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 ZJ laredo 4.0 codes

Well finally had a check engine light that won't go out. I went over to the local auto parts store and ran the codes, but don't really know what they all mean. Here is the Laundry list.

1. P0141 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
2. P0138 O2 circuit high volt (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
3. P0203 Injector Circuit Open-Cylinder 3
4. P0202 Injector Circuit Open-Cylinder 2
5. P0118 engine coolant temp circuit high input
6. P0463 Fuel level Sensor A Circuit high Input

If anyone has a reference to any of these, interpretation, or even a list of codes with more detailed information it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:23 AM

I cannot believe that no one has any info on any of these. I know the 02 sensor is a simple replace. I knew the fuel gauge occasionally turns of and back on again, no big deal to me. What could be causing the high voltages. and where should I be looking for the other sensors. Or any ideas what could be possible triggering these error codes.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:53 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Here is a great site to help you to read more into these codes.

http://www.obd-codes.com

But before you start replacing anything, have the codes cleared, and drive it till they return, well until the SES light returns, document your millage and the conditions when the light comes back on. Speed, braking, accelerating etc. Worse case scenario is you have a bad PCM, or some bad wiring.

I can tell you this all of these codes are connected by both or either bad fuel consumption, and or a bad coolant sensor.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:11 PM

Default One down

5. Well knocked the coolant temp sensor off the list. when I tested it was running at a higher ohm than Chilton's said it should. Replaced it.

3&4. Took the Ohm's on the injectors and all 6 are running 12.1 -12.2 Chilton's said the should be in the 3-6 ohm range. I'm thinking I'll run some zmax through an retest unless anyone thinks I should really replace them. I'm still wanting to do the 99+ intake manifold swap when I can find one for a steal .

1&2. I believe there is only 2. the one near the cat I tried to replace when the cat back was put on but had to send it back due to a wrong plug and never got around to picking up another from the dealer. The other one should be in the exhaust manifold. I am looking into getting the Doug Thorley header and could do it all at once.

6. The fuel level sender makes perfect sense since the gauge randomly has been shutting off and dings and in a second or two comes back to normal. Would I have to pull the tank to do this one, and if so should I just replace the fuel pump/filter since these are in the tank.