Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

98 ZJ Grand Cherokee Sport PCM Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question 98 ZJ Grand Cherokee Sport PCM Swap?

Been reading on the forum and finding different answers. My 98 Grand Cherokee ZJ Sport with the 4.0 seems to have PCM issues. I want to order a replacement, as long as the model numbers are identical and the replacement PCM came off the same year, make and model, do I have to reprogram the PCM? I read the only differences would be the Mileage and VIN on the scanner in the PCM, but my vehicles miles on the dash itself will remain the same. Rather clarify before making a mistake. Sorry if this question is repetitious.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee

If you order on line and provide Vin and milage it will be a plug and play. Super easy.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jon-d
If you order on line and provide Vin and milage it will be a plug and play. Super easy.
Yes, some sellers offer to flash the mileage and VIN while others don't. One on eBay I'm looking at doesn't.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

As far as I know they did not make a Grand Cherokee Sport. Only Cherokee Sport. That is the xj. Your profile says xj. Assuming you have an xj, and not a zj, A zj would be the grand Cherokee. As far as I know there was only the 96 and 97 years that were direct plug and play with no flash of the vin or mileage needed. As far as I know your 98 would need to be flashed with that info.

the above information may contain forward looking statements and should be cross verified.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
As far as I know they did not make a Grand Cherokee Sport. Only Cherokee Sport. That is the xj. Your profile says xj. Assuming you have an xj, and not a zj, A zj would be the grand Cherokee. As far as I know there was only the 96 and 97 years that were direct plug and play with no flash of the vin or mileage needed. As far as I know your 98 would need to be flashed with that info.

the above information may contain forward looking statements and should be cross verified.
I buy and sell cars therefore my 2000 XJ Sport is my daily driver, but I picked up a 98 Grand Cherokee TSI which I called a Sport because Jeep technically calls it a "Sporty TSI Model" which was above the Laredo trim. My fault for the confusion. I bought a flashed PCM on eBay, everything works great! Thanks guys.