Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

98 Cherokee need help CEL, and other issues..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 Cherokee need help CEL, and other issues..

First of all let me introduce myself.. I'm Chris new 98 JGC owner with186K . I was posting in another thread but I'd like to start this as a new one here...

So after many years of working on VW's specifically my Corrado VR6 I tackled the 98 4.0 JCJ today, it was easier and had much better clearances and I love Jeeps reuseable zip ties !! Quite frankly I enjoyed it a lot.

The goal today was getting the CEL off, I need to inspect the vehicle by Tuesday as I am the new owner. Today it threw 2 codes 138 and 70. I think ... , first was O2 sensor closest to engine and also the output vehicle speed sensor. I replaced both today and was so bold as to continue on and replace the fan belt. Tasks were straight foward and not that hard at all. The belt was annoying but fun like a rubiks cube it had perfect 1/2 deflection after a 5 min engine seating. I was EVEN thinking about going back to the parts store and replacing the swar bar bushings which for all intents and purposes are missing ..lol, but I decided I had done enough for one day. I disconnected the battery for a long period of time after the sensors were installed and connected ...and.. started the car.

Start up drive around PERFECT no squeals no CEL.

Go back out later for a nice meal and maybe check out the hot girls out on haloween here in Oneonta, NY (college town) CEL comes on.. belt squeals at all RPM's and the girls are laughing at me as I punch my steering wheel... both events occured like a minute apart..so the night was ruined instead I get a gas station sandwich and a six pack instead and here I am.

Since I got home I loosened the tensioner pully a bit under the power steering, and loosened the two bolts on the PS and tightened the adjuster giving me like 3/8 deflection (in proper test area) hopped in the jeep started it.. looked at all the gauges gave it some gas squeal was diminshed by 80% or so as i revved it up around 4500 rpm a few times. But still not eliminated..

1) does it take time to seat and "make friends" with the pulleys ? I'm positive its routed properly..

2) Have I missed some step ones prior to doing all this work(regarding sensors) ?

3) While sitting in the car the gas light came on and the gauge bounced around.. finaly settling at 1/2 a tank when I know its @ 3/4 - 7/8 full.. strange as this was a new event.. never happend before.

4) Also I hear a tapping noise in the engine while I'm pondering all these other things.. So I crack open and use my homemade stethiscope to listen for the issue and I'm entirely pissed off as I walk the engine.. finally traced it to the coil wire @ the dist wiggled cap around and I could make the sound go away if I pushed the cap towards the passenger side of engine comp Cap looks quite new but maybe I need to sand the rotor a tad ? not sure..

Are any of these issues related ?

PS the CEL came on after .5 miles of driving

Sorry for the long windedness but I am going to make this Jeep right as i love driving it !! TERRIBLE conclusion to a great Jeep day...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default issues resolved Code 720.

So I quickly realized that I replaced the wrong sensor on the trans, Parts counter gave me a VSS a simple one nut press in type on the xfer case and they told me there was only one.

Went back got the other one tonight. It's also located on the left side transmission. I added some type 4 oil about a quart was needed anyway and the car runs great no CEL... So I did O2 sensor, Fan belt, two VSS's 250.00 in parts and tools ...and all is good. All codes are happy now I can focus on cleaning the jeep or whatever.

Nope.......Now my airbag light is on.