Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

98 Cherokee, more problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 Cherokee, more problems!

Ok so i have been having a ton of problems with this pos. I want to sell it but i'm about 100% positive no one would buy it. Well last month I was having problems with it running. After driving it a few hours it would just kind of shut off and die. And it wouldn't crank for like 30 minutes. When I would try and crank it, it would just you know make the normal cranking noise but no actually fire up. Well we replaced the coil cause it was cracked but that wasn't the problem so we replaced the fuel pump. Well it no longer dies on me but now It's acting like it wants to die. I'll be driving down the road and it will kind of give out for a second but it will keep running. Any idea what it could be? Maybe a fuel filter? It's also idleing low. It used to idle on like 1 or sometimes between 1 and 2 but now it idles between 0 and 1. Ideas? Also when I try to crank it, sometimes it takes like 5-7 seconds to crank. Ideas? And lastly, I know I've been leaking power steering fluid but recently It's leaking something else. It's coming from like the middle of the jeep. Say you were sitting up front and you know where the middle consul is, It's like leaking from under there. Any ideas? I'm a young female and have no idea about cars. My dad is a mechanic but I live 4 states away from him now and I know a lot of times these dealers try to rip you off. Please help me! I keep a constant check on my oil, water, transmission fluid, brake fluid etc... And nothing is ever low so I don't know what is leaking?
Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Crank positioning sensor might be your problem. As far as fluid what color is it? Is it thick or thin? Transfer case and transmission are in the middle. Or if your off on longitude latitude it might be your a/ c water dripping that's if your using your a/c.... But I would check spark plugs, wires, fuel filter and also throttle positioning sensor hope that's leads you somewhere to fixing your problem
Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 AM

Check for broken cracked or frayed electrical wires also. Might be a bad ground. Oh I forgot check your map sensor and All of your vacuum lines on your manifold for leaks
Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 AM

Those sensors, is it something I can go to like auto zone and they can hook their machine up to it and it would say that's the problem, or just something I replace and hope that was the problem?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 AM

Well first of all I never owned a jeep newer then 95 but there are codes for those sensors but they won't always pop up. I work at advance auto my crank sensor went but never threw a code jeeps are tough to own but worth every minute
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default Hey Tisha

im having the same problem with my 98' going dead on me, mine when i drive for a while it does it so let me know if u solve that. As far as the oil leak i got a cheap trick to find what it is. Go buy a cheap white blanket at the store and park ur jeep on it. if ur leaking from round the back of the engine and it is black its prolly ur rear main seal. If its red its ur tranny or tranfercase. Hope it helps u out. And if ur check engine light is on they can check it at ur local Auto Zone.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

and for ur vacume hoses u can spray them with carb cleaner on them and if ur engine idles faster then thers a leak!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Also check the intake manifold for leaks. Use the same Carb cleaner technique around the gasket.
As for it being a pos keep in mind that Jeep is my favorite type of Jeep for tons of reasons. It will last forever. I have a 98 GC Laredo with a 5.2l and 260000 miles with no rebuilds and its still strong. It has NEVER left me stranded in the 8 years I have had it. It has been airborne on several occasions and I wheel it HARD and its my DD. I have replaced all of the things mentioned above over the years. So don't get down on the Jeep too much. Its old now but with some tlc it will keep on going.
Find a good honest mechanic nearby and about $1000 will make it last quite a while. I have a good one close to my house and his diagnostic skills are amazing so not much unnecessary work done. Avoid the stealership! Ask some friends or neighbors who they use.
Good luck
Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 PM

You want to buy mine? Lol. It's a 98 grand Cherokee laredo 4x4. It has sun roof, all leather, all the good stuff. I just really don't have the money to put in it. I have 3 kids so all my money goes to them. It has 195000. What do you think I could sell it for knowing there's something wrong with it, like $600?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 PM

I hear the kids thing. If its clean you can easily get $2500. If you was in Phoenix I'd take it for parts for $600.