Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Laredo Acts Up Only For Me

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Laredo Acts Up Only For Me

I have a 96 Laredo that I am having issues with.I puchased it non running. Was told probably the crankshaft, because it wouldn't turn over for them.

Once I got it I replaced the cranshaft and cam sensor. It ran like a charm for awhile. Then it started jerking(the whole jeep jerked. like it was shorting out) Code it was giving off said crankshaft, so I returned the one on it and got another one put on. Drove like a charm again. Then someone helped me put on spark plugs and wires. We made sure to gap them right. (purchased them from Auto store) It drove for a little while (few days) and started throwing off misfiring codes. Took it to mechanic, because it was randomly dying and becoming dangerous to be in on the road.

Mechanic had it 4 months and said he couldn't fix it. I then took it to jeep dealer. They said my wires and plugs were done wrong. They completed a tune up with a new dis and rotor,cleaned my throttle body (said it was full of carbon), and reprogrammed my computer due to a recall. I picked it up after giving them $600, which 350 was for labor (90 bucks an hour)

Three days later it was shutting off again. But this time it seems like it chokes up and dies. Engine code was multiple misfire, cylinder 5. I was told to do ignition coil so I did. I had auto store clear code. Drove it a couple days and it died again. This time there is no check engine light on.

I returned it to jeep, so they could drive it and figure it out. Funny thing is that it never died for them. The code for ignition coil was still in the system so they cleared it when they learned I replaced it.

I am at a loss and becoming broke. Any suggestions?

*fuel gauge does not work

Thanks for your time
Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds like you may have a fuel pump problem, you will get misfire codes when there is a fuel starvation problem, you'll also have a poor running engine and stalling.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 PM

Default Do you think fuel pump over the computer

I am wondering which to do. Some said the computer was bad. So you do think the pump is my best bet to change next? And if so is there anything I should know changing it out lol. Or should I be checking the fuel filter or something before replacing the pump.Thanks again

Last edited by vicmartin; 02-19-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

You should check the fuel pressure when the engine stalls before you just throw a pump at it, but since the fuel gauge isn't working anyway, you might as well replace the whole fuel pump module and fuel filter. The pump module will come with a new sending unit for the gauge. Is the engine warm when it stalls, and does it restart right away? I have seen a failing PCM cause stalling issues, but the engine won't start until the under hood temps cool down after about 20 minutes.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Sorry for delay in question

The jeep will stall in the freezing cold. I have started it up and let it run while deicing the windows, but as soon as I get ready to go it dies(while still in park) The entire process is not even 5 minutes. 5 times it has died while in park. 3 times it has died while pulling out of work. 1 time it died while pulling into work. These are since Jeep had it. And I can start it right away. Only once did it take a couple tries.

Took it to Jeep yesterday, so the manager could put his computer on it. The check engine light wasn't on, but he said it could still have a code. He isn't sure of what it could be. There were no codes. He took a hammer and tapped on the computer, terminals, and other things. He wiggled the ignition switch. The jeep continued running strong despite his tapping, so I got in it to leave after him saying he needs it to throw a code or it to act up more often. He walked away from it and dang it if the jeep didn't die. He then hammered on the computer cover again after restarting it. It acted like it wanted to stall a couple times while he was hitting it, but it didn't.

Does this still sound like fuel pump. When you say fuel module...is that already with the pump? I have 3 others saying pump. Should I worry about the fuel filter? Please let me know when you can. I plan on replacing the fuel pump soon, but want to make sure I don't skip something. Thanks for your time and help
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 PM

Engine: 4.0

Just had the same problem with my 93... Definitely fuel pump. And yes the pump and fuel sending module are all one piece and cost around 175 bucks at your local parts store.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Always replace the filter when you replace a fuel pump.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Always replace the filter when you replace a fuel pump.
x2... Most companies wont validate your warranty on a new fuel pump unless a filter is done at the same time. You can get a filter for $12-25 most anywhere.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM

Default Thank you!!

I will certainly be replacing the fuel pump soon. And the fuel filter. But when I look up the price of a pump I am seeing around 300 bucks. I am in Knoxville TN. Am I wanting an electric one? Those are cheaper. What brand should I get? Sorry for so many questions. I just don't want to mess this up lol
Old 02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

The fuel pump is in the tank, take a look at www.rockauto.com for better pricing on a fuel pump. Try to avoid Airtex pumps, their track record is not so good.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 PM

I have heard that about airtex pumps also but I have used 3 of them on 3 different vehicles and haven't had an issue yet...
Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

I just check napa site and a Spectra is 146 and a Delphi is 188..
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Thanks again...another question though

I am still driving my jeep and plan on getting the pump changed this coming weekend. Today after it sat about 8 hrs it would start and then shut off. It did it a couple of times and I pumped the gas thinking that would help. It started and I looked out my mirror and believe I saw white smoke. I made it out of the parking lot and onto the main road. I thought it was about to shut off, because the jeep started running quiet and it backfired I believe. It sounded like someone shot a gun from my exhaust. Crazy thing is I pulled over and jeep was still running. Of course no codes/ engine light. I kept it on and went home(not far from where I was). After turning it off I was able to start it up.

Anyone know what happened? Did I flood it or do I have another issue on my hands?

Spoke with someone who also works on cars. He is saying he believes it isn't my fuel pump, but my computer. Any thoughts?

Last edited by vicmartin; 02-26-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: correct wording/more info
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 AM

I also have a 96 Cherokee, am having the same problems as you , and have replaced the fuel pump, and filter, and am still having the same problem, no one seems to be able to tell me why !!!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 PM

I have a 97 gc and was having similar symptoms. My GC would stall and stumble until it was fully warmed up. I Performed a tuneup, new plugs and disturber. Had the crank sensor replaced. Had the fuel plump and filter replaced. I still hadn't found the problem. Two shops couldn't figure out out. I decided to replace the PCM with a $200 rebuilt. That fixed my problem!! I then used a product called Sea Foam to Clean my fuel system. The GC runs like new! Finally! I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 96 Laredo Acts Up Only For Me