Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 JGC Stalling/No Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 JGC Stalling/No Start Issues

I am in desperate need of some help, i am a woman so i really don't know much about cars but what I do know is that I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 (118,000 miles) and for the past few months it seems I have the infamous stalling issue.
It began by shutting off while in idle or while just driving down the road and sometimes it will start right back up again when turning the key and sometimes it wouldn't, it would crank but would not start and then after letting it sit for 3-20 minutes it would fire back up. Like I said this problem has been ongoing now and has progressively gotten worse.
I have spent hours reading posts and watching youtube videos about the PCM. When putting on the computer it does not show any codes.
We have tried the "fix" of putting in shorter screws into the top of the unit, replacing the coil, and just yesterday saw a video on youtube where an engineer shows how to take apart the PCM and on the voltage regulator side see if there are any broken pins . My dad is a retired mechanic so he was able to do so and upon opening it up, sure enough like the video said the 3rd pin in was disconnected so he soldered it, put it back together and put it back in the jeep and it fired up. We let it sit for 20 minutes or so running and then he took it for a test run, he only made it a few blocks before it shut down again and now it absolutely will not start at all, it cranks over but will not fire up. It has now sat overnight and still not starting. I'm not sure if something with the solder messed it up since before doing that it would at least start and run. I had seen we can get a remanufactured PCM off of ebay for around $130 that will come completely programmed to my vehicle but before I spend the money I am just hoping for someone to maybe at least help point me in the right direction to if it sounds like it could be the PCM. Any information or insight would really help me out a lot. This is the only vehicle we have and we are in desperate need of getting this fixed once and for all. Thanks!

Last edited by Mweidlich; 05-21-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: inline 6, 4.0

My 96 Laredo had the same issue when I first bought it. Try wiggling each plug while someone is cranking it over. This was the "fix" that the previous owner had, along with shoe string, super glueing and siliconing the plug! I ended up cutting the wires on my plug and wiring in one from pick n pull, then installing a reman pcm from ebay (auto computer exchange was the company, you receive a lifetime warranty once you send in your old unit) problem completely went away, it's been about two years now. I believe the original issue on mine was the plug, not the pcm. The throttle position sensor and crankshaft position sensor are also notorious for going out on these, but either of those should throw a code I believe. Good luck!