Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 won't start

Good Morning!

Last week I drove my Jeep after it had been parked for a couple weeks and it needed a jump (new battery is needed probably). I went to leave work and now it refuses to start. If you cycle the key all the way through the positions and get to "start", the relay engages under the hood and the lights dim - however, the starter does not do anything. It also seems as if the key isn't really returning to "run" from "start" but that shouldn't effect this issue
i.e. no spring return perhaps.

I tried to jump the poles on the starter and when I do this, it just spins freely and doesn't engage the flywheel at all. At this point I took the starter out and had it bench tested, in which it passed. So I re-installed it thinking it was dirty contacts or something, but I end up with the same results.

The next thing I tried was to by pass the wiring and jump directly to it from both my own battery in the Jeep, and another vehicle that was running, however, I ended up with the same result of the starter just spinning freely and not engaging.

I was out of town all weekend so I didn't mess with it until today again...but I'm at a total loss now as of today - I replaced the starter this morning before work and I still have the same symptoms.

1. If I turn the key, it goes all the way to the end (it hits the run/start clicks), but seems like it is missing the spring return still. When I get all the way to the end, it sounds like the starter relay is engaging under the hood, but the starter does not actually do anything.

2. If I jump the poles on the starter, it just spins freely and never engages the fly wheel.

I looked at the fly wheel again and it looked ok when I put the new starter in this morning. However, I am at a loss at what else the issue could be since it almost seems like two separate issues occurring at the same time, but I don't know enough to know if they are really related or not. ANY advice at this point would be appreciated - or if anyone is in the area and maybe can take a look at it at this point...
Old 10-27-2014, 01:40 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Hi if you jump the two big connection points on the starter, then you have just energized the starter motor, but not the solenoid, that mechanically engages the starter to the fly wheel, this could be a reason of the free spinning. Try to jump the big connection of the positive voltage, to the small connector of the solenoid, then it should start properly. One possible reason for not starting with the key, could be a contact problem of the neutral safety switch in the transmission, that allows you to start the engine in park or neutral. (mine 96 does it sometime) Try to move the sifting lever a bit in park position, while you try to start the engine, or try it in neutral if you can. I hope it helps a bit.
I would be happy to have a look on it, but I'm a bit far away
Welcome to CF.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:50 PM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by czettlera
Hi if you jump the two big connection points on the starter, then you have just energized the starter motor, but not the solenoid, that mechanically engages the starter to the fly wheel, this could be a reason of the free spinning. Try to jump the big connection of the positive voltage, to the small connector of the solenoid, then it should start properly. One possible reason for not starting with the key, could be a contact problem of the neutral safety switch in the transmission, that allows you to start the engine in park or neutral. (mine 96 does it sometime) Try to move the sifting lever a bit in park position, while you try to start the engine, or try it in neutral if you can. I hope it helps a bit.
I would be happy to have a look on it, but I'm a bit far away
Welcome to CF.
That is part of what I needed to know - if the solenoid isn't being energized from the key/ignition, the starter will not allow the bendex to contact the fly wheel and actually start...sounds like I need to tear that apart.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by kdersch
That is part of what I needed to know - if the solenoid isn't being energized from the key/ignition, the starter will not allow the bendex to contact the fly wheel and actually start...sounds like I need to tear that apart.
First I think you should jump the positive voltage to the solenoid connector, if it's OK, in will not only connect to the fly wheel, but the connector inside the starter moved by the solenoid, will start the starter motor, and if your key is in ignition position, the engine also. So be careful with your hand.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It would be nice to know what area you're talking about. You could be next door for all we know.

Try replacing the positive battery cable end. If it just clicks and the lights go dim, you aren't getting a good contact at the battery. A starter draws over 100 amps when it cranks an engine.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Did you replace the battery?