Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Gnd Ltd transfer case VS build sheet

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L
Default 96 Gnd Ltd transfer case VS build sheet

I don't have it yet, but I am buying my brother-in-law's high mileage 96 Grand Limited and emailed http://www.jeep.com/jeepcares for a build sheet which they sent the next day. I was glad to see the tow package listed as "Trailer Tow Group IV" and the rear end as 3.73 and "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle", but among the items was "DHRSSingle Speed On Demand Transfer Case". I think this Jeep has Quadra-Trac full time 4WD and the shifter has three positions including neutral and Lo (I think that's what it said). Is it possible the build sheet is wrong, or am I misreading what it says. The VIN is 1J4GZ78YITCxxxxxx and they called it a "Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport Utility 4-DR" in the build sheet reply.
Also, the steering is pretty vague and feels a little heavy on this 264,000 mile Jeep; you can turn the wheel back and forth maybe 20 degrees with little change in direction. Would that be ball joint wear or could it be something with the "speed sensitive steering"? And what the heck is a
CHMSL Lamp?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 PM

Year: 93'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

the build sheet is wrong. mine said rack&pinion my pitman arm disagrees

Last edited by retread; 08-06-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Central High Mount Stop Light. Brake light in the inside top of the rear hatch.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L
Default build sheet acronyms and NADA value

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Central High Mount Stop Light. Brake light in the inside top of the rear hatch.
Thanks for that answer; maybe if I was into texting I'd be better at figuring out these acronyms. Is there a cheat sheet for option descriptions somewhere on the site?

Since the transfer case call out seems wrong, I wonder if the other items are correct. Guess I'll have to double check for things like the diff ratio, heated seats, memory function, security alarm, keyless entry (no fob on the keys I saw) and LSD rear diff (I think it takes a special lube or additive if it is limited slip) when I get the Jeep from my Brother-in-Law.

BTW, NADA trade value for this model with 264K miles, is $600 rough and $1250 average. With dirty carpets, bare headliner, cracked windshield bottom, vague steering, and ABS light on, I'd say this one is between rough and average, but the dark rosewood pearl coat paint looks very good (no pealing clear coat) and I needed the 6500# tow capacity, so I guess the $1000 price is OK. The B-in-Law bought it for $650 with a broken front wheel bearing (which he had replaced after he trailered it home) and discharged AC (which he had charged); The brakes seem to work OK without ABS so he didn't try to fix it. I'd guess the ABS sensor on the wheel with the new bearing would be a likely place to start checking the ABS.

Oh yes, when I told my wife the paint color she decided we should name the jeep Rosie.