Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 Cherokee keeps draining battery??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 95 Cherokee keeps draining battery??

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and was told the battery needing replacing after it was tested, so I of course bought a new one. All is well for 2 days then I go to leave and nothing. So I have the alternator tested was told it was on the low side, to replace it. I thought great now I don't have to worry. (I'm a mom with 2 kids in school so we are on the go a lot) So I am at the store and go to leave and again NOTHING!!! Now I have spent 200.00 for new parts and still have a problem. I know something is draining my battery but how to I figure out what it is. Oh and to top it all off while trying to figure all this out I though why not change the oil and filter, of course after I do all of sudden no oil pressure so now I check and of course the gauge is broke so now Im just waiting for the wheels to fall off!!! But seriously someone please help me figure out what is killing my battery.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bgr8pairants
I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and was told the battery needing replacing after it was tested, so I of course bought a new one. All is well for 2 days then I go to leave and nothing. So I have the alternator tested was told it was on the low side, to replace it. I thought great now I don't have to worry. (I'm a mom with 2 kids in school so we are on the go a lot) So I am at the store and go to leave and again NOTHING!!! Now I have spent 200.00 for new parts and still have a problem. I know something is draining my battery but how to I figure out what it is. Oh and to top it all off while trying to figure all this out I though why not change the oil and filter, of course after I do all of sudden no oil pressure so now I check and of course the gauge is broke so now Im just waiting for the wheels to fall off!!! But seriously someone please help me figure out what is killing my battery.

You need to be more specific in describing your problem. Is the battery totally dead? Does the interior light come on when you open the door? Do the dash lights and gauges work when you turn the key to on or start? Do the headlights turn on? Or does everything work and you just get no action from the starter when you try to start?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

You probably broke the oil pressure sending unit. It is right next to the oil filter on the 4.0 I6s which makes it easy to break when changing the oil.

As for the battery draining it would be helpful to know if the battery is completely dead or if everything else works electrically just not the starter engaging.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to the forum! Stick with these guys. They are one of the best sources of knowledge about jeeps there is. If someone chimes in with disinformation, they'll be the first to let you know.

It would be helpful to know about how long it takes to drain the battery, so we can tell about how much amperage is disappearing. Do you get a spark when you connect the battery cable? A 95 should only have an OBD I computer if I recall correctly, so you should be only drawing about 1 amp for the computer memory. Also when you check this, make sure the doors are shut and the interior lights are off. Also does the timer for the dome lights turn them off?

Remember, this is going to be a cross-examination that would make a lawyer proud, but stick with us and keep an open mind. We'll see you through.