Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

93 GC lights left on an now ignition now working

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool 93 GC lights left on an now ignition now working

let me explain. Running fine...lights left on over night. The next morning the switch has no spring return action if I tried to start the engine....very strange. I replaced the ignition switch and now there is the spring action when turning the switch to start position but nothing but a click from the starter like a low battery. I tried using the start position of my charger and nothing changed. After charging all day the battery shows 13v. I also tried using the battery from my RV with it running and jumpered to the Jeep with it's battery removed and same results. I played with the old switch and it has a spring action when twisting the arm so again a big mystery. Could it just all be a coincidence that the lights made the switch act weird and now also could have affected the starter solenoid? That is my next action to try crawling under the engine and try jumping the solenoid to see if it engages into the starter. So weird. Anyone ever had this experience? I have a new battery in my van and am wondering if swapping that out would fix this but I have this feeling that it would not since there has been plenty of battery applied and nothing changes. Maybe it fried the computer?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:59 PM

Default I think I found the problem

I had noticed that the turning of the switch seemed not far enough travel when trying to start. After replacing the switch there also seemed to be some slop in the movement as well. The cylinder that has a tab at the bottom which moves inside the switch has a broken off corner which reduces the movement by about a 1/4 of an inch and as a result moves the switch just far enough to turn off all electrical use just before it tries to start the engine.
So now I need to find a new key cylinder....how does one do that so the keys match? Do I go to a junk yard and just get one that works and deal with two keys? One to start the car and one to unlock the doors? OR is there a way to remove the key module from the cylinder? Anyone done this before? Help much appreciated
Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You go to the dealer and get a ignition cylinder kit and take it to a locksmith to get it coded to your key. I have coded the cylinders when I worked at a dealer, it's not hard to do if you have the pieces that are required. There's not enough room here to give instructions on how to do it.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You go to the dealer and get a ignition cylinder kit and take it to a locksmith to get it coded to your key. I have coded the cylinders when I worked at a dealer, it's not hard to do if you have the pieces that are required. There's not enough room here to give instructions on how to do it.
Do you remember how much it costs? I can get a cylinder replacement for $70 from Oreilly Auto Parts. I bet it costs that much to get it coded. Any idea since money can get expensive
Old 07-06-2015, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It's been about twenty years since I have done it, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.