Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4.0 ZJ Laredo - Noise at rear, wheel bearings or diff or all?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question 4.0 ZJ Laredo - Noise at rear, wheel bearings or diff or all?

Dear friends, car is on 85000 miles. We bought it as third hand 25 days ago

It has noise at back. It is something like a bearing is dead and friction cause more noise than there should be. It is less when there is load on shaft, and it is more when speed is slower and right before stop (actually it is relatively evident due to noisy goodrich tires.) In addition to this, when climbing hills, if weather is cold, if you try to accelerate the sound is louder. Also i feel it is more when turning left compared to turning right.

pitch of sound is not changing, character of sound is almost same only volume is changing when car is going faster. sound is not like the sound of constant low frequency broken front wheel bearings sound. it is a metallic noise and something like it gurgles. ( like diesel engines of big ships do all time)

i think this is related to diff. but can you please comment on this situation according to your past experiences? there is no oi leak at back. i believe this car has no LSD at back. fyi.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I too have a noisy set of BFGs on my Grand, hate them. Until you do something with the tires, it's going to be hard to tell what the noise is. Any leaks on the rear axle anywhere? Leaky seals are a good sign of a bearing that is bad.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

my front diff and transfer case has slight leak, but no noise; at back, rear axle seems very nice and no leaks but there is gurgling/grinding sound.

changing sound levels due to load reminds me a broken shaft related bearing inside diff. any comments?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee

start taking things apart and inspect,pull rear cover, pull axles. check diff oil condition if you have posi, bad lube will cause all kinds of noise in posi's
Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by gmv93
Dear friends, car is on 85000 miles. We bought it as third hand 25 days ago

It has noise at back. It is something like a bearing is dead and friction cause more noise than there should be. It is less when there is load on shaft, and it is more when speed is slower and right before stop (actually it is relatively evident due to noisy goodrich tires.) In addition to this, when climbing hills, if weather is cold, if you try to accelerate the sound is louder. Also i feel it is more when turning left compared to turning right.

pitch of sound is not changing, character of sound is almost same only volume is changing when car is going faster. sound is not like the sound of constant low frequency broken front wheel bearings sound. it is a metallic noise and something like it gurgles. ( like diesel engines of big ships do all time)

i think this is related to diff. but can you please comment on this situation according to your past experiences? there is no oi leak at back. i believe this car has no LSD at back. fyi.
Since the noise is louder when turning left, and this puts more load on the right rear wheel bearing and unloads the left side, I'd say check the right rear wheel bearing for damage/excess wear. JMO
Old 10-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Seasoned Member

i agree with you. how about increasing noise when climbing a normal hill on highway?