Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2007 GC Laredo

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 2007 GC Laredo

Hello, I have a six cylinder Laredo that my daughter drives. She is away at school and drives two hours to get there. The problem is when she drives two hours and gets to school, she goes back to her Jeep 15 minutes later and it will just crank but not start. I had this problem two years ago at the same time of year and replaced the starter and battery. It seemed fine until now. When the problem exists she taps the throttle and it starts and runs fine. Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2017, 04:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That's a 3.7 V6, right? Has that got the electronic throttle or is it a cable?
Old 11-05-2017, 04:20 PM

Yes 3.7 with electronic throttle. I cleaned up the throttle body yesterday and got it warm today, after 15 minutes I tried to start it and it turned over and would not stop even if I let my hand off the key. I turned it off and stepped once on the accelerator and then tried again. It started right up and ran beautifully. After explaining what I saw to my daughter she confirmed that that was exactly what happened to her but she hits the gas while it's turning over and starts. I'm lost at this point, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:24 PM

Also, I get no check engine lights and everything else seems perfectly fine. This happened about a year ago and I replaced the starter and the battery but the problem is so intermittent that I dont think that those things had any effect.