Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2006 Laredo Issues - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2006 Laredo Issues - Advice Needed

I purchased my 2006 Laredo four years ago with about 40k miles. Today, it has 138k miles and has been an awesome vehicle! Of course, there have been a few minor, normal, repairs (battery, alternator, starter), but all in all, I have no complaints. Except, when it rains, it pours apparently!

I've had a P0137 code (O2 sensors) for quite some time and have put off replacing them because, well, I assume it's not a huge deal based on what a few mechanics have told me. Not a major issue, but one that needs to be addressed.

A couple weeks ago, I was driving and all of the gear lights lit with a square around them and the truck didn't want to shift. I shut it off, restarted it, and all was fine. Took it to see if a code came up and got U0404. This happens every few days and fortunately, only once while on the highway. I've done a ton of reading on it and see that it's possible that the contacts on the shifter bezel may need to be cleaned, or, I may have to replace it. Ugh.

Yesterday, my battery light came on while driving. I stopped and had the battery checked and it was low, but good. They tested the alternator too and that came up and said "Volt Reg Failed" and "Diodes Passed". In doing my research, I see that there's no voltage regulator on this truck and that it's part of the PCM (oh yay....not).

So, all this to say, I'd love some input and advice. I just dropped the truck off at the stealership to have them tell me exactly what I need to have done so I don't guess at things. I know worst case scenario is that I will need both the shifter bezel replaced and a new PCM, but even the service writer said that he's doubtful the PCM is bad because they rarely fail. I found that to be a plus, and am hoping that maybe the alternator is just failing even though it's only a couple years old.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice from anyone??

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I betting on the alternator to be the problem. Low voltage will cause all kinds of strange things to happen.

Last edited by Bustedback; 01-07-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I like the way you think Bustedback. I'd certainly be happy if it was just the alternator failing!