Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 Grand Cherokee V8 P0740

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 2004 Grand Cherokee V8 P0740

2004 GC Limited AWD 4.7 V8. Only code is P0740. Not in limp mode, shifts and drives smoothly.

Just changed filters and fluid on the truck, cleared the codes and went driving. Light came back on P0740.

Quick questions about the Transmission solenoids. Is the Transmission Kickdown Solenoid the only solenoid inside to replace on my truck.

I am idiot and had bought this https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ssion+solenoid

I had also bought this.. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ssion+solenoid

But apparently I only have this https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ssion+solenoid

So .. is the last link, the kickdown solenoid, an entire pack of what I would need to change out to pray this P0740 goes away?

I have the in/out speed sensors as well as a backup and have cleaned all sensor plugs and reconnected. (TPS, Intake Sensor, In and out sensor, kickdown sensor)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

As you're probably aware, P0740 is torque convertor clutch. I've had the same code in my 2000 WJ for 4 years and have changed the solenoid pack, cleaned the clutch check valve, and changed the speed sensor. The only thing it could still be is the torque convertor itself. Convertor lock-up only reduces engine rpm by about 200 at cruise anyway, so I'm not about to pull the transmission for 200 rpm. I haven't noticed any change in fuel mileage either.

The only hassle it's been is for inspection, I have to clear the code, then constantly check the emission monitors until they are clear, then rush it get it inspected before the code sets again. It takes around 200 miles for a "drive cycle" before its ready.

The solenoid pack in my 42re is the overdrive solenoid and the torque convertor solenoid together as a unit.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-27-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the insite Dave. This is a pita and I won't be happy if I change the pack and still have this code

​​​​​​​How would you know when the drive cycle is complete after cleaning a code beside the light turning back on.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You have to use a scanner and check the monitors daily. In NY, it will pass inspection with only 1 monitor "not ready." This year I was chasing a small evap leak and the 02 sensor heaters. I went thru the cycle 3 times before the CEL set and I had to start all over again! Once a CEL sets, all 7 of the monitors go "not ready" when you clear it and you have to do it again. After a smoke test, we found the evap leak. It was the damn pressure test port cap! The day after it passed inspection, the freaking P0740 came back! BTW, it's been on so long the bulb burned out!

I'm telling you, when this WJ goes to the crusher, I'm paying the big bucks and finding a pristine early XJ or ZJ that I can work on!
Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 PM

Update:

After my transmission filter, fluid, and pan change and night of driving for about an hour. I went out to the car the following morning to run errands. Started right up, shift her into gear and nothing... She wouldn't shift into gear at all. I referred this post...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-gear-1072032/

So, I got back under the truck and noticed my fluid draining out was still pretty old and burnt smelling even after putting a fresh 6.5 qts in from the first time I worked on the car. The transmission filter o-ring was loose and I hammered it into place with the plastic end of my chisel and a hammer. (I did not end up changing the Solenoid Kickdown pack even though i had been in there a SECOND time..) Put it all back together added another 6.5qts and she started up and drove perfect.

Running my errands that day I had the P0740 light stay on throughout the day and then BAM!! it went off. Got the car inspected right away and she's been running good since. Shifting much smoother and driving great.

My assumption is the very old, burnt, nasty transmission oil just was what led to my P0740 code?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 PM

Now that I have the inspection, tomorrow I'll do some highway driving and see if the light comes back on and give an update.