Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4.0 zj Whining From Passenger Side of Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 4.0 zj Whining From Passenger Side of Engine

Hello, as the title suggests, my zj with +230k miles on it has developed a whine under the hood, it almost sounds like a blower making boost. I first noticed it on my drive this morning and got a little worried, at a red light I shifted into neutral and pressed on the gas to determine if it was in the trans or in the engine. After I determined that it was not the trans I proceeded to stop in a parking lot to see if I could identify it. It appears to be coming from one of the accessory dives or an idler on the passenger side, and the power steering is not only on the other side but is not low on fluid, as for the water pump, I replaced that just over a year ago. That leaves the compressor, an idler, or the alternator. Im getting 14 volts at the battery when running to the alternator charges, and the ac still blows cold as Dainties ninth circle of hell, and hot as the internal depths of the planet. any ideas as to what it could be? anything would be a help.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

In the past, I have had a bearing in about every accessory in my 4.0s whine or grind at some point. The best way to see where it is coming from would be to remove the belt, and spin everything by hand and listen to the bearings. Everything should be quiet and smooth. I have had several alternators develop an internal whine and the bearings feel smooth while spinning it. So if everything else feels smooth, it could be the alternator. On one occasion, my late 93 XJ developed a whine on the passenger side of the engine. I could tell it was not coming from the front accessory drive. It ended up being a worn bushing in the distributor. Replaced it, an it went away. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

I forgot to add, the whine is intermittent. it starts at about 1.9k rpm when on the gas and stops after a few seconds, and again when the load drops from about 2k to 1.5k and again stops after a few seconds.