Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2003 WJ window regulator removal and install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2003 WJ window regulator removal and install

My dr. sd. window regulator just took a crap on my 03 WJ. The motor still sounds like it's working but the window just drop down inside and will not roll back up. My question is there any one out there that either has done this repair before or has a video link of the procedure? I've already taken off the door panel and when I reached inside the small openings felt what seemed to be a cable that was loose but just not sure how to remove the regulator or how to detach the window glass from the regulator in that very confined space. Also see a lot of regulators available for $30 to $100+ which one should I buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank's
Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by jeepgldgr
My dr. sd. window regulator just took a crap on my 03 WJ. The motor still sounds like it's working but the window just drop down inside and will not roll back up. My question is there any one out there that either has done this repair before or has a video link of the procedure? I've already taken off the door panel and when I reached inside the small openings felt what seemed to be a cable that was loose but just not sure how to remove the regulator or how to detach the window glass from the regulator in that very confined space. Also see a lot of regulators available for $30 to $100+ which one should I buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank's
I've done this repair on mine 2001 and my buddies 2004 wj a few times yes it is a confined space all the blots are on the outside of the panel so that's a plus. Just find which ones match and the whole assembly drops out the largest hole in the sheet metal. I clips into the window farly simply but it's trick with limited space. I recommend replacing the whole assembly that's what works best and in my experience cheaper does not work out... Let's just say I've done it about 4 times on my passenger side door. If you really need I will post a video but I just got it all back together.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 AM

Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Thank's for the tip I've found the whole assembly not too expensive just hate to think that this will have to be done over and over is this do to the quality of the aftermarket parts? A video would be helpful in the removal though mostly on how the window glass is detached from the regulator and how it's reattached. TRhank's again
Bill
Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by jeepgldgr
Thank's for the tip I've found the whole assembly not too expensive just hate to think that this will have to be done over and over is this do to the quality of the aftermarket parts? A video would be helpful in the removal though mostly on how the window glass is detached from the regulator and how it's reattached. TRhank's again
Bill
Well it's more based on how the parts are designed
Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Year: 1999

just as he said, it's actually simple but the confined space makes it seem hard. There are two clips that hold the glass in. If you take a flash light and look in there you will see the little pins that come off the clips. After you figure it out you will say Wow that was simple just tight quarters. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a video of my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee when my window regulator broke. This video will show you how to do it.

If you need to prop the window up while you wait to repair it. Take the door panel off of the door and clamp a pair of vise grips to the regulator and under the bar that holds the window up.

Here's a link to the window regulators on our website.

Grand Cherokee Window Regulator