Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2003 2.7TD Grand Cherokee smoke issue

Old 11-09-2016, 12:03 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default 2003 2.7TD Grand Cherokee smoke issue

Hi all new here and need some help or suggestions please. my 2.7 TD smokes black smoke now not all the time just when at working temp and low revs 1300 to 2000 rpm above 2000rpm no issue. so what seems to happen is

A) from standing little squish of the throttle nothing happens then we take off in a cloud of black smoke

b) when driving at low rpm you call for power and it hesitates (not normal TD lag) then power comes in in a cloud of smoke!!

so I have replaced the following new turbo, new air filter, new crank case breather (on top of rocker) new egr valve. I have checked all hoses no leaks checked vac lines nothing I can see there. I am waiting for a code reader to see if there are any codes as no engine light is present also changed fuel filter.

car is powerful and tows well returns 29 avg miles to gallon so I am stumped! any suggestions welcome
Old 11-09-2016, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

I'm assuming these jeeps have a DPF or Diesel Particulate Filter. This may not be functioning properly, OR been removed.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-09-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the reply.
yes they do have DPF when I changed Turbo I inspected it and to me it looked in good condition! this is like the engine does not know the throttle has been pushed but the fuel goes in anyhow....causing the smoke
Old 11-10-2016, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

DPF on a 2003? Might want to double-check that. Probably just a catalytic converter. But if the cat is clogged, you would certainly see smoke like you are experiencing and that's where I'd put my chips if I were a gamblin man. It's not something you can visually inspect unless the thing is clearly damaged.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:23 PM

thanks for the reply yes your right it is a CAT not DPF me being a Muppet! any know how to test if it is knackered it will be 100,000 miles old so could be the culprit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: