Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2002 Loredo problems... tranny stuck in park and hole in oil pan.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2002 Loredo problems... tranny stuck in park and hole in oil pan.

So, I purchased this Grand Cherokee as a flood salvage vehicle for 900. Great deal from the look of the jeep. Interior and ext look great. Putting a new starter in tomorrow (If I try starting, it turns red and starts smoking, the started is screwed) and she should start. Changed fluids and all that. Cleaned terminals etc. Anyway, I have 2 questions. First, bottom of the engine, toward the front of the vehicle, in the center (from left to right) is a hole bout 1/2" but 1.5" cut in it (looks like the front of the oilpan). I thought at first maybe some sensor went in, but haven't found anything like that.

Is there any reason a person would cut this hole? and will that hole affect starting since there wouldn't be pressure in what I think is oil?

The second question is about the transmission. I can't get the Jeep out of park. Pressing the shift button is a pain, and it won't shift out of park.

I have not yet ran the jeep, but all looks good except what is stated above. Tranny has no water in it, engine did, but only in oil pan, not ran through the engine. Oil filter only had oil, same with top end of engine.

Thanks in advance, as any info would be greatly appreciated. This is a Christmas gift for my wife, and my job is to get it running.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Pic of mentioned hole? Holes in the oil pan are never good.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:51 AM

does it turn over at all? ? I hope the hole ain't from a connecting rod?
Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by dt1050
does it turn over at all? ? I hope the hole ain't from a connecting rod?
That's what I was thinking because no one drills or punches holes in oil pans.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 AM

I will get a picture today and get her posted. I wont know about turning over til I put the started in. I bought this jeep because I figured at worst I would have to put an engine in it... still good deal moneywise. I will also look in pan and see if I can see anything.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The hole in the oil pan, is the metal bent inwards or outwards? If it's bent inwards, it could be the salvage crew punched it to drain the water. If it's outward, I'd be very careful about a rod or something.

Before you waste a new starter, make sure the engine is free to turn over. Try to turn it by the crankshaft pulley or the flywheel. Pull the plugs to make it easier.

If this is a Sandy truck, check all the wiring for water intrusion, salt water will rot copper and cause problems later on. Depending on how deep the water was, you might want to drop the fuel tank and clean it out. Also, all fluids, transmission, t-case, and diffs.

I once bought a 57 Buick that had gone off a bridge into Chesapeake Bay. Even after cleaning it up, for 2 years after you could smell the bay water if it sat in the hot sun.

If the cylinders were filled with water, there may be hydraulic lock, that is water stops the pistons from moving. If the engine was running as it got flooded, it could have ingested enough water to lock up a piston and cause a rod failure. Worst case scenario.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM

Outward.

Not going to sugar coat my misery. Water was not sucked in engine. The Jeep was in storage when flooding occurred, right before being auctioned and towed since. However, I need a new engine. It was a connecting rod. I did not ruin my new starter. Even with needing a new engine, we have everything to do the install, just got to afford one. Go figure, my wifes cavalier has every ABS computer failed now, and got to figure out which will be cheaper to fix. probably her cavy.

Anyway, other then the engine, everything else seems pretty good. guess I won't know until I replace the engine. Next question...

What would be cheaper, getting an engine or rebuilding mine? and would rebuilding really be an option without knowing the extent of the internal damage?

And does anyone know of anywhere in PA to get an engine at a decent price? I wouldn't mind if somewhere did payments, but parts places do not tend to do that much...
Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 AM

can't say for anybody else, but every time I've seen an engine scatter and splatter it hasn't been rebuild able, normally the block is cracked in one or two cylinders, it might be a wise investment to purchase a donor vehicle, I can't tell ya what parts work for what years, but the folks on here could help. I just bought a 1996 xj for $600 that's probly cheaper than a junk yard engine (sorry not selling the xj). I've seen a lot of zj's selling for around $1,000, the 1996's like my plow wagon had issue's with the uni body rusting out in front of the rear wheels, but if your just gonna part it out who cares. good luck, dt.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Is it a 4.0 or 4.7? If it's a 4.0, unfortunately, only a 99 or newer engine will work because of motor mount changes. Because the 4.7 was introduced in 99, I'm assuming any will fit.

Over the years I've seen many rod failures and the damage done can vary depending on what the rpm and load on it was when it failed. Only by taking it apart will you know if it's salvageable. Chances are better if it's a 4.0 and only the oil pan was damaged. I've been told the 4.7 has powdered metal connecting rods. It may be you can get away with just a rod and a crank regrind on the 4.0 and an oil pan of course.

It sounds like the rest of the vehicle will be fine. The shift lock is only in the handle and should be easy to disengage with a little work. If you've never owned a Jeep before, the lock is activated with a solenoid by a brake light signal but I believe the ignition must be on as well.

I bought my WJ 2 years ago and have been on a steep learning curve since. My initiation to Jeeps was a 97 ZJ that, just like the man said, the frame turned to Swiss cheese right before my very eyes! Funny you should live in PA. That's where my WJ came from, western PA. Not a spot of rust on it.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-27-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 AM

its a 4.0. and I am on the hunt for a 99-04 engine. Yeah, I have had plenty of jeeps. 2001 Wrangler, 91 YJ, 88 Cherokee and now an 02 Grand. I am used to working on jeeps, but the 02 is an automatic, and I am not too familiar with automatics. lol. However, between the cost of purchase and the cost of an engine, it's still a cheap 02 grand, so I guess I can't complain.

I figure I'll just buy an engine, since I am more a suspension and manual tranny kind of guy, I'll see this engine off to recooperate some of the costs.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Old fart with a wrench

The 42RE isn't a bad transmission, although opinions vary. It will give you good service if properly maintained and not abused. My WJ was showing signs of not engaging properly on a cold start in near 0 temps, so I began warming it up in neutral for a couple of minutes, allowing the pump to circulate fluid and fill the convertor. The hydraulic seals are getting stiff and need to be pressurized before they seal. Also, and this is important, don't kill a rearward roll with the shifter. The forward clutch isn't designed as a brake!

I was strictly a "stick" man until I got married! She didn't enjoy stirring a stick, so I bought her a Dodge Shadow. Then I got a good deal in a Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD truck with an automatic and the rest is history.

I've been told (hearsay) that the reason Jeep changed the motor mount location on the 4.0 was because of the 4.7. It wouldn't mount with the old setup. It seems logical, that being said, when was an automobile company logical?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

On the tranny stuck in park, I would check to see if you may have a problem with the brake switch. When you step on the brake pedal with the key on, do you hear the shift interlock activate? If not, check the brake switch and the shift interlock itself at the shift lever. if you need to, if you pop the bezel off from around the shift lever, there should be a manual release so that you can shift it out of park.
Yeah with those flood vehicles you have to change all of the fluids just to be on the safe side, even the axle fluids and the transfer fluids.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:02 PM

The engine thing kind of sucks. had a guy emailing me willing to trade a 96 engine for my AK-47 and everything for it I have. Guess that'll be a nogo. Still working on one offer. May add my pistol to the trade to make it more lucrative. It's getting needed more as we can't solve my wifes cavalier problem. Damn ABS. Anyhow, I will keep posted as to any progress that may occur. Thanks for the heads up. As for the tranny I will look into that brake switch.