Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2001 jeep grand cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 jeep grand cherokee

Hi. The basics: new member, 56 yr old female who is a diy'er because I can't afford to pay somebody to do it for me. Problem: water in the passenger floor. I've read enough to know it's probably the ac drain. I've located it and tried to use my air compressor to blow any trash out. Nothing. I tried to push a flexible wire into the drain and it felt like it was blocked with something hard. I had to remove the passenger seat and pulled up the carpet and used my shop vac to get the water out, but need help to repair the problem. Please advise. Many thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:52 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I had this issue once with my truck and it ended up being a crack in the plastic tray that holds the water from the evaporator. I let it dry for a few days and siliconed it.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by trailshredder
I had this issue once with my truck and it ended up being a crack in the plastic tray that holds the water from the evaporator. I let it dry for a few days and siliconed it.
This sound to me the most likely problem. Another would be rain water overflowing the pan in a heavy downpour, overpowering the drain. This has happened in hurricane conditions,
OR the seal at the firewall is leaking.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:43 PM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by ltripp
Hi. The basics: new member, 56 yr old female who is a diy'er because I can't afford to pay somebody to do it for me. Problem: water in the passenger floor. I've read enough to know it's probably the ac drain. I've located it and tried to use my air compressor to blow any trash out. Nothing. I tried to push a flexible wire into the drain and it felt like it was blocked with something hard. I had to remove the passenger seat and pulled up the carpet and used my shop vac to get the water out, but need help to repair the problem. Please advise. Many thanks.
Hello ltripp. Hopefully you check this thread again. I just fixed this problem today on my daughters 2001 Grand Cherokee. Purchased the GC from my mother-in-law for my soon to be 16 year old. The heater core was replaced about a month ago. The last two days (very hot and humid) the passenger side floorboard turned into a swamp. I removed the kick panel and side trim to roll the carpet back and saw the condenser drain pouring water through the firewall into the interior. Here's how I fixed it.

Problem #1 was the foam gasket around the drain tube was pretty much gone. Why anyone would use a foam gasket in a liquid application I will never understand. Crawled underneath and located the tube on the exterior of the firewall just above the starter. The gasket was pushed through so I was able to remove it. I used plumbers putty to repack the hole around the tube. I did this on both sides of the firewall. I then used Permatex Ultra Grey to seal it up. Then I drilled a 3/8 hole in the back of the drain (the round black plastic piece on the interior side) and blew air through to ensure the tube was open.

Problem #2 is that the drain tube is too short and too level on the exterior. Unless you drive downhill all the time it can't possibly drain properly. Water dribbles out the tube and then flows right back along the bottom of the tube back to the firewall and through the foam gasket into the floorboard. I went to O'Reillys and picked up some 5/8 heater hose and a hose clamp. Threaded the hose up at the front of the starter and pushed it onto the tube. It was a little snug but some Dawn on the inside of the hose let it slip right on. Fastened it with the hose clamp and turned the tube to look straight down and zip-tied it to the frame rail. Now the water has no choice but to run down and hit the ground. I then plugged the hole I drilled with a 3/8 threaded plug coated with Permatex.

Like I said, I just did this today but I am fully confident it will solve the issue permanently. And as a bonus, the tube is now easily accesible to rod out should it ever become clogged. Hope this helps.