Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2000 GC Limited, several probs (front susp, heater, idle surge)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000, 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default 2000 GC Limited, several probs (front susp, heater, idle surge)

Hi all! Between the 2000 Jeep XJ 4x4 I got in February 2013, and the 2000 GC Limited 2WD I got in August, it has been problem after problem.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a few things and don't have a good place to work on it, OR shop trustworthy enough to trust taking it to. At any rate, I'm trying to do what I can.

1) Idle surge - Not while driving, only while sitting stopped. Cold or warmed up. Some days it doesn't do it, but it's happening more and more. When running ok it sits at around 600 rpm; when the surging happens it will surge up to as high as 1300 rpm, then drop as low as 400 rpm, at which point the car will almost stall.

I've read that IAC (Idle Air Control) and TPS (throttle position sensor) may be the culprits. Anything else it is likely to be? Any idea which I should replace first? Cash is pretty limited, so I want to do the most likely and/or cheapest, first.

2) No hot air, regardless of how I set the dual climate controls. On HOT it blows cold air. No water leaks or other signs of a heater core issue. From what I've read and from the codes I get (22 and 24, 54 and 56), it sounds like BLEND CONTROL DOORS.

My question: is the BLEND DOR replacement, or JGC replacement set the best? I don't care about dual controls, a single replacement is fine - I just wonder which brand is better.

3) Two front end noises that started in the last month or so. They did NOT begin at exactly the same time. Driving, the suspension and steering feel very tight and smooth - and getting under the car, nothing appears to be worn or loose.

a) A clinking / rattling that sounds like it is coming from behind the glove box, but can be heard outside the car if I roll the window down. It sounds like metal clinking, but not a 'clanking' like heavy metal parts with weight on them connecting. It is almost like what it would sound like if one metal part were on top of another, but loose and just rattling with nothing but it's own weight on it.

It seems to happen less (or not at all?) when decelerating, but I can't tell if it's because of the brakes being engaged, or just the deceleration. The brakes were recently serviced. I can't tell by hand that there is any looseness in the pads.

b) A clattering/rattling sound on the front DRIVER'S side. It sounds like it might be from the shock/strut area, or close to that. It happens when going low speed (under 20), and over fairly smooth surfaces. It's like every tiny imperfection in the road or parking lot causes this constant rattle. Major bumps don't make it any worse, possibly because the noise of the bump is covering it. I don't hear the sound at higher speeds.

Again, I don't see / feel anything loose underneath and don't see anything that looks worn.

Ideas?