Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1st Day with the New WJ ~~~ 1-15-12

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1st Day with the New WJ ~~~ 1-15-12

Well the day has finally come that I upgrade to the WJ -- My XJ has been great for 9 years.. But when my parents got a rig they GIFTED me their WJ... WOW.

only 48,492 miles on it and it's the one the last production Rocky Mountain editions......sweet ... 4.0L - selectrac ( same set up I had in the XJ)

Since I have only been Driving about 3k per year.... in 8 years --- I should have only 73k...on it..

Changed the Oil ( 38 degrees )- took me an Hour to get the drain plug off...man that thing was on there,.. had to put the Jeep on ramps to get more leverage...finally got it..took both hands

Valvoline 10w30
Pure One Filter..14670
$18.98 oil change.. after rebates @ Pepboys

Aired up the really really low tires ( 14,16,front 21,22 rear) looks like my Dad forgot to air them up this winter..or Fall.

Inspected the systems. Looked it over..Have some more fluids to change..and chasis Lube to do. But everything looks pretty good.

Just 2 things to look into so far..:

The Breather valve @ the front the motor appears to be leaking..

and..On the right hand side of the engine compartment I heard this Loud ticking like a lifter tick coming for a solenoid? (see Picture) what is this component and why is it ticking so loud?

pd

Last edited by pdspeh; 01-17-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: -----
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

That is the vapor purge solenoid, they all make noise and it's nothing to worry about. You need the gromet for the breather, but you're going to break the breather when you try and remove it, so buy both pieces. You're a lucky dog for getting a sweet low mileage ride!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
That is the vapor purge solenoid, they all make noise and it's nothing to worry about. You need the gromet for the breather, but you're going to break the breather when you try and remove it, so buy both pieces. You're a lucky dog for getting a sweet low mileage ride!
Thanks! I am very Very Lucky...When I sell the XJ -- I will be returning the favor with a surprise New Fridge for them.

Thanks for the reply and the heads up on the breather / grommet- I will definetly be changing that..

as for the Solenoid -- I thought it was a made lifter tick for split second...

pd
Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

After I did my intake swap last weekend I was letting the engine run and checking over my handy work when all of the sudden the purge solenoid started ticking. My first thought was that I had an exhaust leak and I was getting pissed, then I put my hand on the solenoid by accident and felt it clicking on and off, A huge sigh of relief. I always forget about that thing until it scares me.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.7L V8

Congrats on your new WJ. Looks great, and with those miles it's barely broken in.
Check and see if it's had the recalls performed on it. http://www.wjjeeps.com/recall.htm#2004
We bought our '04 WJ new in '03, and there was a recall on the brakes that's not shown on that list. They replaced the rotors and calipers at no charge.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Congrats on your new WJ. Looks great, and with those miles it's barely broken in.
Check and see if it's had the recalls performed on it. http://www.wjjeeps.com/recall.htm#2004
We bought our '04 WJ new in '03, and there was a recall on the brakes that's not shown on that list. They replaced the rotors and calipers at no charge.
I know that a few of the recalls were done - not sure about the brakes..

Do you know where I can find the info on the recall?

thanks
Pd

ps ---- just saw your sig...those must have been some serious Go Like Hecks ..I had an '85 Shelby Charger - man I loved that 2.2 turbo - shook it self to pieces.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by pdspeh
I know that a few of the recalls were done - not sure about the brakes..

Do you know where I can find the info on the recall?

thanks
Pd

ps ---- just saw your sig...those must have been some serious Go Like Hecks ..I had an '85 Shelby Charger - man I loved that 2.2 turbo - shook it self to pieces.
I couldn't find any info on the brake recall, sorry. I looked for it before as my brother bought an '04 and I tried to get it for him.

I've had about nine of them, and every one received more mods than than the one before. You have to reinforce everything. Those last two were actually not that fun to drive, as I believe he went too far. The '86 was converted to an auto. My wife wouldn't even ride in them. If there's ever another one built it'll be with the 2.4L DOHC engine. They make the same power at lower boost levels because they breath so much better. Of course the forged internals are about the same price either way.
Oh well, that was before I found my first. I think I'm hooked on them now. I sold the ZJ to my son, so I'm looking for an XJ.