Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1999 WJ GC 4.7 P1698 code and tranny not shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default 1999 WJ GC 4.7 P1698 code and tranny not shifting.

Just dropped in a rebuilt 4.7 and after getting everything reassembled and running the transmission will not shift into 1st gear at all, I can manually shift from drive down into 2nd but when I got into 1st it does nothing. When first pulling out it starts out in drive. OD does not kick in but I have only had it up to 55. Tonite I heard a buzzing sound from the tranny for the first time. It is the quadra trac II tranny. I had changed the fluid and filters prior to changing motors. Old motor blew a head gasket. I had already changed the motor earlier this year with a used 4.7 and had no issues. I have double checked all the grounds and all the wiring I can see. I have read every thread on this forum I could find with similar issues and have been trying to find the TCM ohm test for the 4.7. I only found one for a 4.0 and the wiring isn't the same. When I manually shift it it hits very hard. I have gotten a P1698 code a few times and cleared them. The code usually kicks as I am pulling back into the garage after a short drive. It has also stalled a couple times after a short drive. The only code has been the P1698 No CCD BUS comm error. The crank sensor is a new one. I have also had to remove the tranny cooler as I managed to crack it while reinstalling it and the radiator. I have not replaced it yet but the problem was happening before I removed it. Does anyone have a list of the wires to check between the TCM and the PCM plugs to check for a short? Could the TCM just have gone while sitting? I have checked the fuses and relays under the hood and all are fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have been at this for a few days now and I am not sure where to go except to order a new TCM........
Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Went back and removed all block grounds and used a dremel to polish them til they shined and cleaned the bolts with my wire brush on the grinder and all is fixed!!!!